We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salt Lake City at night

New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Salt Lake City at night

I will be in Salt Lake City all next week, but will be holed up in the convention center until at least 5:30 each day, so evenings will be my time to explore. Suggestions for things to do after 6:00 p.m. that don't require a car -- especially those things that natives feel make their city unique -- would be most appreciated. My hotel is downtown, so access to public transportation shouldn't be too difficult. Thanks.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,916 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salt Lake City at night

Welcome to the Salt Lake forums.

I may not be the best one to answer since I rarely spend time in Salt Lake in the evenings anymore. Timing is bad as well since the ballet and symphony and theaters are done with their seasons, and of course so are the Jazz.. And you'll be too early for the Arts Festival.

Broadway Across America's Jersey Boys will be playing. Good luck with tickets.

Check out the Gallivan Plaza at lunch time (12-1) for free live music. And something new I haven't heard about before on Tuesday nights 7:30 they will be having a big band playing for those who want to dance.

The Off Broadway Theater might be of interest: https:/…

The very successful Farmers Market at Pioneer Park is open Saturday Mornings and Tuesday evenings till dusk. It is still an iffy kind of place, but if you go when there is lots of activity it does cut down on the negative side attractions.

Normally you could hear the Tabernacle Choir rehearsal Thursday nights, but they will be leaving on tour the 12th. There is an organ recital every day at noon for half an hour.

Restaurants: Red Iguana, Tocanos, Green Pig, The Copper Onion, Red Rock Brewery, Squatters,.

Hopefully that is a start

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,634 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salt Lake City at night

Hi Lauren,

If you are coming from New York you might be puzzled in Salt Lake at night. It's a very 9-5 suburban town in many respects. There isn't a large population that lives downtown and so it feels more void of life and energy until weekends. I just moved back here after living in Brooklyn for six years and a couple more in North Carolina and am adjusting little by little, but love it overall. There are things to do, but you won't stumble upon them by walking around. SLC is a town you need to know where things are. There is actually stuff going on, but it's very spread out. Having said that...

Here is an event calendar for the upcoming week from Visit Salt Lake.

www.visitsaltlake.com/events/…

The City Weekly is kind of like Salt Lake's version of The Village Voice. They have an event calendar as well, listed under the tab, events. http://www.cityweekly.net/utah

To answer your question, the thing that makes Salt Lake unique is the geography. I would make it a point to find someone with a car and take a short hike into the flowering foothills and watch the sunset over the Great Salt Lake while the city lights come alive. Many of trails are close to downtown, but they would be difficult to use in conjunction with public transit. Ensign Peak is minutes away. Others nearby include Avenues Twin Peaks and fan favorite The Living Room, which has large slabs of rock conjoined in the form of couches and chairs to comfortably watch the sun drop behind the city.

I would also make an effort to make it up one of the major canyons and really experience the bigger mountains and scenery. A ride up to Park City is always nice and it's the shoulder season, so you won't have to deal with the usual crowds. To put it simply, this is Salt Lake. A combo of wilderness and city amenities so close. I can't think of another town that has what it offers in that regard or proximity. To skip the mountains, would be like going to NYC and only eating at Applebee's, Denny's and Olive Garden. You're not really experiencing the uniqueness the city has to offer.

Temple Square will be open and is a must see. Thursday and Friday the Leonardo is open until 10, UMOCA is open until 9 on Fridays. If you're into sports there is AAA baseball that can be accessed with Trax. Usually attendance is so sparse that you can sit anywhere. There is a rock climbing gym called The Front which could accessed by Trax or a bus perhaps. Many buses stop after 7:00 pm, so you need to know which line you want and make sure it's still running...

For restaurants I'll add Eva, Takashi, Meditrina, Palate, Market Street Grill, Tin Angel Cafe, and Bruges and Frites to the ones already listed. I have heard Zest and the Himalayan Kitchen are good but haven't been yet.

The bar scene in Salt Lake is different too. Each night of the week has one place that is hopping and the rest are fairly sparse until the weekends. I just moved back in March and am still getting my feet wet. The Beer Hive Pub is fantastic. The Bayou has the largest selection of beer from all over the world that I have ever seen, anywhere. The Green Pig and Gracies have nice decks to be outside enjoying the weather. The Bourbon House is hidden and along with Bar X and The Red Door are cocktail bars. Red Rock and Squatter's are micro breweries with food. Divey bars would include the Jackalope and Poplar St. Not sure about nightclubs, live music halls or wine bars, though you could probably get wine anywhere.

Have fun

Jake

PS I'm not sure that the Tuesday Evening Farmers Markets have begun. You may want to check.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
4,634 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salt Lake City at night

One other thing I thought of, if you get antsy in Salt Lake, is taking the Front Runner train to Ogden for dinner, checking out 25th Street, the Ogden Kayak Park, and Solomon Center where they have climbing and indoor surfing and skydiving. I think the last train back to SLC is around 11:00 or midnight.

New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salt Lake City at night

Many thanks!

New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Salt Lake City at night

Great info and ideas. I really appreciate your taking the time to write such a comprehensive reply.

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
246 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Salt Lake City at night

I agree with Jake! Also, take the TRAX or a taxi to Red Butte Gardens http://www.redbuttegarden.org/

The weather will be gorgeous, and the gardens are open until 9.

7. Re: Salt Lake City at night

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 08, 2014