We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B near downtown?

Providence, Rhode...
Level Contributor
110 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
B&B near downtown?

Hi, I will be making a trip to SLC expressly to use the Mormon Family History Library. I would prefer to stay at a bed and breakfast, but I am traveling alone and don't want to be anywhere that is too far away from the library. Does anyone have suggestions on where I might stay? Thanks so much!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,869 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B near downtown?

Check out the B&B reviews on TA.... Either Inn on the Hill, or Ellerbeck would be in the downtown area.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B near downtown?

I really like the Carlton Hotel, which is almost like a B&B in some respects. It's a family-owned historic hotel on South Temple Street, just the other side of Temple Square from the FH Library. You can walk there, or the hotel has shuttle service to and from the library (also airport or train station pick-up and drop-off). It’s also a convenient location for shopping (new mall just opened last year across the street, and there are neighborhood businesses as well), dining, or catching the TRAX metro train to go farther afield. It is within the transit free zone, the couple square miles around downtown where there is no charge. Another nearby landmark, in the opposite direction from Temple Square if you’re interested, is the majestic Cathedral of the Madeleine, the seat of Utah’s Catholic diocese. Tours are available there.

Many FH Library patrons stay at the Carlton for extended research trips, and the reasonable rates, wi-fi, laundry machines, and exercise room don't hurt. The staff is terrific, always friendly and helpful. Breakfast is included, not a continental breakfast or buffet in the lobby, but a real, cooked-to-order breakfast in the hotel's downstairs dining room.

The place even has the feel of a B&B. Since it's small, it's quiet. It was built in the 1920s and is well-maintained. You’ll often see FH researchers coming and going with their file boxes and laptops, and most such folks are not late-night partiers. I also see many overseas tourists there. The rooms are not identical; they are different sizes and shapes and furnished differently. Some have fridge and microwave. My only real issue is that the showers are small, and I am a smaller than average person. But you can request rooms with tubs. If you’ll have a car, notify them in advance because parking is limited and the indoor section has a narrow entrance and low ceiling.

3. Re: B&B near downtown?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 23, 2014