We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salt Lake City...
Level Contributor
90 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon

I want to drive to the Grand Canyon from SLC the first part of April. I heard the North Rim is closed then so I guess we will go to the South rim. I will have 2 kids traveling with me. Can someone tell me the best route to take and maybe where to stay at a halfway point. Can't travel too far with the kids each day. Any help would be appreciated. Thank, Mary

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon

The North Rim usually does not open unitl mid-May, so the South Rim is the place to go. Drive time is 9 hours, probably longer with the kids due to more stops.

As for the route, I-15 south to route 20, to route 89 south to Kanab. At Kanab you will have to take route 89A south out of town toward Jacob Lake (this is the route to the North Rim as well). You will have to take route 89A as route 89 is closed south of Page AZ. Route 89A will join back with route 89 just past Navajo Bridges. Then take route 89 to route 64 west, which will take you into the Grand Canyon.

As for a place to stop, maybe Bryce Canyon (about a 4 hour drive from SLC and only a little off your route) or Kanab.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,709 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon

Can't add much. That is what we would do... Stay in Kanab. Unless you want the Bryce Canyon add on.

Be sure to stop at Lee's Ferry and Navajo Bridges, and Cameron Trading Post, and all the viewpoints from the east entrance especially Desert View.

3. Re: Salt Lake City to Grand Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 27, 2014