We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Near amtrak and car hire

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Near amtrak and car hire

Hi. I would like a recommendation for decent motel/hotel near amtrak station please. Will be literally in very late and out early, so nothing fancy needed! Plus we will want to hire a car next morning to,drive to,Yellowstone. Any suggestions for car hire companies that are in the area rather than at the airport? Do we need an suv for Yellowstone. We are going early June and it's just two oldies and a bit of luggage! We will be returning the car and picking up the train again to SF.

Thanks from the UK.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Near amtrak and car hire

There is a Hampton Inn at the corner of 400 S and 300 W. There are numerous other hotels in the downtown SLC area--check the reviews and determine which meets your needs.

The large rental car companies (Avis, Hertz, Enterprise, etc.) all have downtown locations. In fact, there is an Enterprise location across the street from the Hampton Inn. You don't say how "early" you are planning to leave, but I'd assume none of these locations would be open before 8 AM. (Be sure to check when making your reservation.)

From your statement that you're arriving "very late", I assume you're on the California Zephyr from San Francisco that arrives around 3am? The area around the "station" is not the best and at 3am, the only people around will be those with nowhere else to go. You will definitely want to take a taxi to your hotel at that time of night. Maybe someone else knows whether a taxi or two typically meets the train or whether you'll need to call for one.

I'm curious as to why you're traveling by train? If you haven't already purchased tickets, I'd urge you to consider flying to one of the small cities nearer Yellowstone (Idaho Falls, Idaho, Billings or Bozeman, Montana, Cody or Jackson, Wyoming). You'll spend roughly 6 hours driving each way between SLC and Yellowstone and then 1 day each way between SLC and San Francisco.

While your route is doable, it devotes a lot of time to transportation that would be better spent enjoying Yellowstone.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Near amtrak and car hire

I forgot to mention that any rental car will be fine for Yellowstone. Rent whatever your budget and comfort allows.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Near amtrak and car hire

Many thanks. Actually we are coming the other way from Chicago, so arrive about 11.05. Its 35 years since we last did the trip west on this train, and as I recall it was an interesting journey. I guess we just like trains! We will then pick up the train and continue to SF after our Yellowstone visit. The trip up to Yellowstone by car sounds like there is a scenic route via the Tetons? Thanks for the tips about the hotel and car hire, sounds very convenient for us.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Near amtrak and car hire

Yes, the times for Amtrak westbound are a bit better than eastbound. Arriving at 11 PM will make it much easier to find transportation to a hotel.

There are several routes between SLC and Yellowstone. The quickest route is via I-15 through Idaho. The most scenic (but likely slowest) is via Logan, UT and Jackson, WY. The routes are discussed quite frequently on this forum. Click through the last few pages or do a search and you should find them.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,218 posts
401 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Near amtrak and car hire

Just a note on the train. While the route from Chicago to Denver is really quite uninteresting, the Denver to Salt Lake is absolutely sensational.

As noted, the Hampton is very close as is the Homewood Suites. While both are only a few blocks, taxi is recommended. You can also look at the Radisson as another option and simply take the free Trax light rail from Amtrak to right in front of the hotel - just a few stops.

In addition to the Enterprise by the Hampton, Hertz is in the Marriott and Avis the Hilton.

Have fun.

Evanston, Wyoming
Destination Expert
for Page, Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Near amtrak and car hire

Sorry to "piggyback" off this thread, but was actually going to inquire about this subject, plus the issue of parking: my family is considering traveling from SLC on AMTRAK and was wondering where would be the best (read: "safest") place to park my vehicle for several days' time?

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
52 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Near amtrak and car hire

You might want to start a new thread for this. I looked at the "station" area today as I drove by on the 400 S viaduct and there appears to be some on street parking nearby but it is certainly not secure.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
14,177 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Near amtrak and car hire

Yes, the Amtrak station is not in a nice area, it's where many of the city's homeless shelters and services are. And the Zephyr arrival times both westbound and eastbound are not especially convenient. They are scheduled to enable the Zephyr to cross both the Sierra Nevada and the Rocky Mountains in daylight.

Cabbies know the Zephyr schedule and there are usually a few hanging around at train time. If there isn't one, a phone call will bring one quickly.

Maybe your hotel will have a shuttle. Some of the major ones do. In fact, the hotel where I typically stay, the Carlton, is not a major one, and they will take guests to or from the airport, Amtrak, or Greyhound or, if their driver is not available, willl pay your cab fare minus tip if you bring the receipt.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
87 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Near amtrak and car hire

Thanks everyone for all the useful tips.

10. Re: Hotel Near amtrak and car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 07, 2014