We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Salt Lake City to Moab

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Salt Lake City to Moab

I will be coming to Moab in July with my daughter.I will be flying into Salt Lake City and I want to book my flight and Im a wondering how the drive is? I've made some drives before heading to National Parks and this looks like it made be the furthest.Any input I would greatly appreciate.

John

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,926 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Salt Lake City to Moab

It will take about 4 hrs if you use hwy 6 through Price... This is the recommended way due to the shorter distance and time. Though you can certainly go the longer way south on I-15 then over on I-70 if you want. I-70 is dramatically scenic.

Hwy 6 is a good, well traveled road and while it heads up into the mountains it is easy to negotiate. With several places to stop for gas and food it should not be an issue to drive it.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Salt Lake City to Moab

Thank you for the tips.Im looking forward to the trip!

Salt Lake City...
Level Contributor
101 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Salt Lake City to Moab

We make the drive from SLC to Moab several times a year. My in-laws live just outside of Moab. The drive is easy in the summer and there are some great rest stops along the way. You should have an easy time and if you start out early when you get there yu will have plenty f time to get out and see a few things. It gets very hot in Moab in the summer so hiking or biking should be done early morning. The climate is very dry so at least there is no humidity with the heat. Make sure you drink plenty of water while there and have a great time.I would pick up some food to have so you can stop and eat at one f the rest stops. That is what we always do.

SLC, UT
Level Contributor
10 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Salt Lake City to Moab

Hi John,

It will be *very* hot in July, so as someone advised, be sure to drink a lot of water and do your activities early (especially since it appears you are from Tampa? The heat and altitude can get you quickly).

It is not a long drive, about four or five hours, but there are longer stretches in which there are no services. Enjoy the unique and rapidly changing landscape--passing through mountain canyons into wide swaths of open desert--but I'd be sure to pack drinks/snacks and use the facilities when you can.

5. Re: Salt Lake City to Moab

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 12, 2014