We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last day in UT, flying out of SLC - what to do/where to stay

Middlesex, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Last day in UT, flying out of SLC - what to do/where to stay

We will be vacationing in Moab/Torrey from Oct 13 - Oct 20. We have a 10 am flight home Sunday 10/21 so we plan on staying in SLC for Sat nite.

Should we stay close to the airport or downtown? How far from downtown to the airport?

And we will be driving up from Torrey on Sat. Not sure yet if we want to spend more time at Capitol Reef and get to SLC late, are there things to do along the way, or should we spend theafternoon in SLC and do something there. Any suggestions? What's good to do for 1/2 day in SLC? We like outdoors, history, art, etc.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,433 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last day in UT, flying out of SLC - what to do/where to stay

Stay in Park City and take advantage of slow season, discount lodging, etc. If you stay out at Newpark Resort by I-80, you are only 30 minutes from the airport. Saturday night will be wonderful in Park City. You can spend your day hiking, visiting the Utah Olympic Park, hanging out on Main Street, etc.

Have fun.

Middlesex, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last day in UT, flying out of SLC - what to do/where to stay

Tahnks - I didn't realize it was that close.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,887 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last day in UT, flying out of SLC - what to do/where to stay

The answer really is almost anything would work. There are hotels close to the airport on the west side, but other than a restaurant or two there is nothing else.

Downtown is about a 10 min drive to the airport and would be a great place to stay with many restaurant options. You could certainly spend a half day exploring the downtown area, between the new City Creek mall, Gateway Mall with the Planetarium and movie theaters, sports bars and shops. Visit the State Capitol or wander Temple Square.

You don't say how long you'll have been in Capitol Reef, but I love Capitol Reef. I've spent several days there often and never run out of places to see and hikes to take. So that is certainly an option as well.

As far as things to do along the way there aren't too many. If you go the most expeditious route the only thing I can think of is the Sunglow cafe in Bicknell. There is also a nice dinosaur museum in Lehi at Thanksgiving Point.

You could take the slightly longer route up hwy 89 and stop and see Spring City, Manti and the other small towns that make up central Utah. Spring city is a beautiful town on the national register and has many artists who make their home there. http://www.utahheritage.com/

Middlesex, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last day in UT, flying out of SLC - what to do/where to stay

Thanks for the suggestions. Downtown certainly sounds better than staying at the airport if it is that close. We get to Moab Sunday morn (spending the night in Price after flying into SLC late Sat afternoon). 4 nights in Moab, 2 in Torrey to see Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol Reef. Its our first visit to Utah and I am really excited about seeing the parks and getting some hiking in.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,887 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last day in UT, flying out of SLC - what to do/where to stay

It is a great place to visit. I hope you enjoy your trip.

6. Re: Last day in UT, flying out of SLC - what to do/where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, December 14, 2013