We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 August days in SLC, Which area to stay in?

Winnipeg
Level Contributor
10 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
3 August days in SLC, Which area to stay in?

After a stay in Moab my wife, 3 year old daughter and I will arrive in SLC. In which area should we stay? I'd like to avoid staying in the downtown area as I don't want to worry about or pay for hotel parking and I enjoy a free breakfast which many downtown hotels don’t always give you. Which area of SLC then is the most desirable with a good choice of hotels, shopping and restaurants?

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,280 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 August days in SLC, Which area to stay in?

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

It is a brand new hotel in the Foothill area. Right across the street is the Foothill Shopping center. The Foothill Cultural district http://www.foothillcd.com/ is close to the University of Utah, where you will find the Red Butte Gardens, the Natural History Museum, nearby the Hogle Zoo and Old Deseret Village. A little further up the canyon there is Ruth's Diner where breakfast is legend. You would also be close to the Sugarhouse area. And you are minutes away from Parley's Canyon which would take you up to Park City

Mentioned in this post
Utah
Utah
United States
Utah's Hogle Zoo
Utah's Hogle Zoo
706 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Ruth's Diner
Ruth's Diner
1,064 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Sugarhouse Park
Sugarhouse Park
81 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 August days in SLC, Which area to stay in?

There are a number of hotels downtown that offer free breakfast and free parking. Stay either downtown or on the east side. Here are three choices in different areas but all very close to activities. SL is a relatively easy place to get around and navigate.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60922-d99901-R… This is right in the center of the city.

hotelplanner.com/Hotels/… This is the brand new hotel in Foothill Village.

hotelguides.com/hotels/…120302.html This is located southeast of the city but at the mouth of the canyons if you'd like to hike or explore the canyons. Lots of restaurants and still only 10 minutes from downtown. Easy freeway access.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,947 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 August days in SLC, Which area to stay in?

Free breakfast is going to be more brand-specific than geographic, but you will pay for parking downtown. Fortunately parking costs are not high in Salt Lake and there are many reasonable private lot options downtown. You have some other really good suggestions above. But it's hard to really replicate the shopping/restaurant options within walking distance than what Salt Lake has downtown.

Another alternative to consider, stay up in cooler Park City. If you stay out at the I-80 junction at Newpark Resort or others, you're in midst of a large entertainment area with restaurants and shops, plus only 25-30 minutes from downtown Salt Lake City.

Have fun.

Mentioned in this post
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
4. Re: 3 August days in SLC, Which area to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:42 am, June 20, 2013