We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

genalogy trip in late september

Washington
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
genalogy trip in late september

Suggestions for inexpensive, safe, walkable distance to Family History Center Library?

West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: genalogy trip in late september

A hotel, right?

For now, anyway; the light rail and bus system is still free in downtown Salt Lake City.

And there's a stop close to the Family History Center Library.

Also, "walkable" is a relative term around here. We won't have rain like Washington but it's pretty hot in the summer and cold in the winter; so you have to factor that into "walkable"

A lot of people like the Plaza Hotel. That really is withing walking distance. I've never stayed there, too.

My wife & I once stayed in the Peery Hotel and we liked it.

People I used to work with have stayed at the Shilo Inn and they seemed to like it.

Downtown SLC is pretty safe. Yes, there is a homeless shelter a few blocks away from Temple Square. But I've never heard of any incidents against tourists in the downtown area.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,359 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: genalogy trip in late september

Honestly, you can choose from dozens of hotels within a few blocks. The Plaza is the closest. Radisson (good Radisson) and Marriott are better choices and just a few feet further. As noted, the Peery is nice. Hotel Monaco is one of the nicer boutique hotels downtown. Shilo will offer you more of a bargain location just two blocks away. There are also a number of HIlton properties. Very safe to walk around.

North Salt Lake...
Level Contributor
25 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: genalogy trip in late september

Hi there,

I would definitely recommend any of the Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott or even the Shilo Inn offers some updated accommodations. I don't really recommend the Peery hotel, it is a historic property which can be interesting, but the rooms are small, amenities are scarce and honestly it's a bit run down.

Another good option might be the LIttle America hotel which is within walking distance of LDS Temple square, or accessable by taking UTA Trax.

Good luck to you.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,660 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: genalogy trip in late september

My personal fav is still the Carlton. It's almost kitty-corner from Temple Square on East South Temple (that's the street that runs along the south side of Temple Square). It's a family-owned historic hotel with great staff, a quiet atmosphere with a mixture of U.S. and international guests, and a few long-term residents (but it isn't like an SRO that's one notch above a homeless shelter).

Many people going to SL for several days to do genealogy stay there because it's affordable and comfortable. They have special rates for a week's stay, and the rates include breakfast made to order. It isn't a big place, but it has a laundry, wi-fi, and limited parking. There is also ahuttle for the Family History Library, airport, or train/bus station.

Now that the new City Creek Center mall is open, the Carlton and other downtown hotels are in the midst of all the action that was missing for a few years while the downtown retail center was under construction. Between the food court, restaurants at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building (Church-owned, so no coffee or alcohol), several on downtown streets nearby, and the one in the Plaza Hotel next door to the library, you won't need to spend hours looking for meals on your research days.

5. Re: genalogy trip in late september

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, June 19, 2013