We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4WD rental for Utah National Parks?

Huntingdon, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
4WD rental for Utah National Parks?

Hi folks,

I'll be in Utah for 2 weeks spanning April/May seeing the National Parks, and I've been wondering about hiring a 4WD to see the off-road parts of the National Parks (like the Cathedral Valley loop in Capitol Reef NP, and indeed, most of that and Canyonlands National Parks).

My questions are:

1) Is it worth getting a 4WD to see those places, as opposed to just renting a compact/saloon and sticking to the paved roads? I'm saying yes, my travel buddy is saying no. For the record, we're both over 40, so shouldn't have any issues with actually hiring a 4WD.

2) Is it possible to rent a 4WD for (sensible) off-roading? If so, which rental companies would you recommend?

3) Part of our route takes us out of Utah into Arizona (Monument Valley, possibly Grand Canyon if time permits). Is that likely to be a problem with vehicle rental, or do they just not care any more?

BTW, we're flying into Salt Lake City, rather than Las Vegas, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,433 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: 4WD rental for Utah National Parks?

Thanks for sharing the great video! We did the ford last year maybe a few weeks later than this. It's a fun crossing! We'll probably be back down and do it again in a few weeks.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,887 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: 4WD rental for Utah National Parks?

Oh, that ford is so much fun. Just wondering how many vehicles need to get pulled out during a year? Do you know Bob?

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: 4WD rental for Utah National Parks?

I don't have any reliable information but I've been told it's only a few.

The rangers are still reporting 19", it's about the same as it was Wednesday and I had no problem crossing it in the company Tahoe today. It was the first ford my German visitors had ever crossed and the lady was certain we were all going to die...

Edited: 8:33 pm, April 07, 2012
Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
6,278 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: 4WD rental for Utah National Parks?

That ford looks like where we are last spring, with all the flooding. Secret is to take it slow as long as the footing is solid. I have blown more than one MAF sensor in my life gunning it across some water.

Huntingdon, UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: 4WD rental for Utah National Parks?

Does anyone have any recommendations for guided 4WD tours of the Needles district in Canyonlands NP, or Monument Valley?

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: 4WD rental for Utah National Parks?

don't know any guides in Canyonlands etc...but we did do a private jeep tour 2 years ago of the Cathedral Valley....do not remember who we went with but it was great and well worth it..we went with the outfitters near the "info" office just before you go down route 12 (in Torrey) to the forrest service campgrounds...if I knew you then killer_bob I would have gone with you....

we are coming back to the Moab area in the fall so I would be looking for ideas for 4wd recs...in that area...too

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,404 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: 4WD rental for Utah National Parks?

That's the company I drive for now, I wasn't driving that year.

Benson, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: 4WD rental for Utah National Parks?

well now I know why you were not our guide:) we had a gentleman who alos worked at the info office there...sorry i can not remember his name though..

39. Re: 4WD rental for Utah National Parks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 pm, April 22, 2013
40. Re: 4WD rental for Utah National Parks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, June 19, 2013