We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

amish communities

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
amish communities

hello

we are over in august from the uk for a tour around a few states, we are passing by salt lake city and will be stopping off around there on our way to yellowstone, i understandstand there are some amish communiies around this area, and wondered if this is so, and if there is anywhere to visit that would give us an experience of the amish way of life

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,887 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: amish communities

If there are amish communities in SLC or even Utah they are news to me.

Plenty of Mormons as SLC is the headquarters. You might enjoy a visit to Temple Square in the heart of downtown. http://www.visittemplesquare.com/

If you have time the Old Deseret Village might be of interest. It is a recreated version of pioneer Utah of the mid 1800's. There are original buildings from all over the state, that have been restored and moved to this site. www.thisistheplace.org/what_to_do.shtml

Edited: 1:51 pm, March 23, 2012
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,433 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: amish communities

We visit Amish communities often when we go home to Wisconsin. As Kbecjeans noted, never heard of any in our 25 years out here. There are many communities in the midwest and east central states, but that's a long ways from here.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: amish communities

thanks for the reply, guess i will give up on that one, must have read something wrong on the internet

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: amish communities

Think you've read about Amish Furniture stores in Utah.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,433 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: amish communities

Tet, that's really interesting. I was intrigued by this request and did a little research and stumbled upon the store in Salt Lake City. We've been by there a zillion times and never noticed it. Pretty interesting - importing Amish made goods from the midwest.

United States
Level Contributor
9,690 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: amish communities

We do have a Mennonite community here in SLC which some people confuse with the Amish. However, they aren't the horse and buggy types,

TAB

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
432 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: amish communities

Hiya,

I've been into the Amish Furniture store on Highland Drive you're all referring to, and the furniture is beautifully handcrafted and well made, but the cost is just silly. Who has $5,000 to blow on a sofa these days? Anyway, back to Ken's original question, we don't have any Amish communities in Utah, but we do have some Polygamist communities down South near the Arizona border. It's our dirty little secret (perhaps why no one mentioned it before me). These communities tend to be quite remote, very private, and do not take kindly to visits from strangers. From what I've heard, it's not uncommon to be greeted with a shotgun...not totally unlike at a Leeds Rugby match. ;) So, I wouldn't recommend checking in on the Polygamists. If you're still interested in passing through Salt Lake City though, I'd be happy to recommend a lot of great things to do and see. I'm married to a Wiganer, and he absolutely loves it here (don't worry I've had people from Yorkshire over too who have loved it here, it's not a crazy Lancashire thing). :) Hope you enjoy your trip!! Let me know if you still keep Salt Lake City on your itinerary.

-Wen

Edited: 8:57 pm, April 15, 2012
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: amish communities

We have been to that "community" several times Wen and wheren't shot ;) But it really is not worth any detour imo so I won't even mention the name of that hamlet.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
432 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: amish communities

Hehehe Tet14, I'm glad to hear you're alive and well. :) I didn't mean to imply the people there were bad, just very very private. I'd love to visit sometime actually, but don't want to disturb anyone who doesn't want to be disturbed. I might just venture a quick drive through next time.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: amish communities

Yes, that's what we did. A quick drive through. From "mansions" to shacks it's all there.