We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good rental rate out of SLC in April?

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Good rental rate out of SLC in April?

I'm going to need to rent a car in/out of SLC for 10 days this April for a trip to southern UT. I don't need much for a rental, at least a trunk and good gas mileage. What's a good rental rate I should be looking for? Are there particular web sites that are good to use?

I heard one strategy is to rent a car straightaway when you book a flight, and then keep checking rental rates as the dates get closer. If a better rate shows up I guess you can leave the flight booked, but cancel the rental booking and get re-book the rental at the better rate. Is that right?

Thanks for any input!

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good rental rate out of SLC in April?

Costco if you have a membership

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
17,515 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good rental rate out of SLC in April?

There's no penalty for canceling a standard car rental so you can play around. You can also use one of the bid sites like Priceline. A key, though, is making sure you don't get suckered into additional charges. Also, my rule of thumb is you get what you pay for. If you have a roadside problem with Hertz, Avis, etc. you have an entire network there to help you. If you have a problem with an off-brand, you could be stuck.

Good luck.

Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Good rental rate out of SLC in April?

Dollar and Thrifty rental show a rate of $260-$290 for 10 days, otherwise Budget bumps up next to $340.

Are the first two considered off brand like TumbleweedandCactus mentioned?

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good rental rate out of SLC in April?

Just reading posts about car rentals out of SLC. We are planning to fy into SLC in May and rent a car for 2 weeks for a NP tour. I had heard that it is cheaper to rent a car off site instead of at the airport. I will check into Dollar and Thrifty, but wondered if Enterprise would pick you up at airport to a site in SLC?

Has anyone found good rates for rental in May?

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good rental rate out of SLC in April?

This is a little late for a response. You have probably booked already. I think Enterprise is at the airport in SLC. They may charge you for shuttle if you rent from somewhere in the city. Only guessing.

My husband and I are also looking to rent for 2 weeks in May. We are wondering if a compact car would work for NP in Utah. Not sure if they would have the HP to climb the elevations.

Wonder if anyone has rented a conpact and if it was suitable.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Burlington, Vermont
Level Contributor
498 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good rental rate out of SLC in April?

Ford Fusion $291 from Avis - downtown for 14 days through Costco

Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Good rental rate out of SLC in April?

Does one need to worry that a compact car will not be able to climb the elevations in Utah NP's? Enterprise offers a Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris or similar. Alamo offers Nissan Versa or similar. It would be just my husband and I in the car.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,709 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good rental rate out of SLC in April?

I've traveled all around Utah in my Chevy Aveo. It does have a little trouble climbing up Parley's Canyon to Park City (I-80) , especially if I end up behind a slow moving vehicle and lose momentum. But that is the only place it has ever slowed me down.

Edited: 1:38 am, March 02, 2012
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Good rental rate out of SLC in April?

Thanks, that's good to know.

10. Re: Good rental rate out of SLC in April?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:23 am, May 21, 2013