We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to go from salt lake city to monument valley?

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Want to go from salt lake city to monument valley?

We have never driven in USA before, and want to fly from florida to salt lake city, then see monument valley.

Can anyone help? and let us know the best way to do it, and if its driving, is this difficult?.

Are there any good train trips from salt lake?

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,947 posts
443 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to go from salt lake city to monument valley?

Driving is the only realistic way to get there on your own. There is no train service. It's a very easy drive actually, about seven to eight hours. If this is your first time driving in the USA, yes, you'll be driving on the other side of the road. But it's easy to get accustomed.

I might suggest breaking your trip by staying in Moab on the way down and visiting Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. It's about the halfway mark.

In terms of train rides. There is daily Amtrak train service to the east and west. The route does cover some interesting terrain, albeit it a lot of it in the dark. You're better off driving.

One other alternative you would have to Monument Valley is possibly joining a bus tour group. I'm sorry, but I don't have information on that but someone else may.

Have fun, it's a beautiful part of the world.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Moab
Moab
Utah
London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to go from salt lake city to monument valley?

thank you for the info, is anyone able to tell us if there is a bus tour that goes to monument valley?

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,689 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to go from salt lake city to monument valley?

I agree with TandC in that driving yourself is the best way to get around in souther UT. So much to see and do. It is so much better to have control and be able to stop and explore when you want to.

That said, I did a quick Google search on "bus tour Salt Lake City to Monument Valley." There were a few options. Here's a link to one that looked promising:

bundubus.com/salt_lake_city_transportation.p…

Disclaimer: I had never heard of this outfit and have no first hand knowledge; this just came up with the web search. You'll have to do the detailed research.

Mentioned in this post
Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,697 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to go from salt lake city to monument valley?

Read the reviews for that company before you commit to anything.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,280 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to go from salt lake city to monument valley?

I expect any bus tours to Monument Valley will include other parks as well and may not leave from SLC, but rather from Las Vegas or Phoenix.

If you want to see it from SLC you're are better off renting a car. The roads are good. You will need at the very least 2 days, but preferably 3 or 4. So you can see Arches/Canyonlands and maybe Capitol Reef along the way down and back.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
Phoenix
Phoenix
Central Arizona, AZ
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
17,326 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to go from salt lake city to monument valley?

The train service through SLC is the California Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville/SanFrancisco. Monument Valley, unfortunately is off in "the Four Corners" wilderness and the only way to get there is to drive. You might consider the Cal Zephyr. It is Amtrak's most scenic train. Between Denver and Salt Lake City it traverses the Wastach and the Rocky Mountains - all in one day, in daylight. Heading west from SLC you would sleep across the great Salt Basin and the Nevada Desert and travel from Reno, Nevada to Emeryville/SF across the Sierra Nevada mountains in daylight. Alas; no Monument Valley route.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
California Zephyr
California Zephyr
820 Reviews
California
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Denver
Denver
Colorado
Reno
Reno
Nevada
London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to go from salt lake city to monument valley?

thank you both

im probably going to drive, as it seems best, as im used to driving around london, so i reackon ill be ok.

most cars have sat nav anyway.

is there any restrictions around that area, i need to be aware off? as i dont want to end up driving in prohibited land !!!!

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,697 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to go from salt lake city to monument valley?

Don't rely on the navigation system in your car.They have a tendency to recommend dirt roads you have no business being on.Get a good old fashioned paper map and you will be fine.

Hauraki Plains
Level Contributor
30 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Want to go from salt lake city to monument valley?

Have you been yet and how was the driving?

10. Re: Want to go from salt lake city to monument valley?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, November 17, 2012