We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover hotel - airport area noise?

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,020 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Stopover hotel - airport area noise?

I'm looking for a budget hotel for a quick stopover in summer - we'll be driving between SoCal & Yellowstone and staying in SLC on the way there and back (just one night each). Airport hotel rates seem to best fit our budget, but how noisy is that airport at night? Any other other suggestions?

We'll probably arrive around 8pm-ish both ways and plan to leave right after breakfast, so sightseeing isn't an issue, unless there's something right next to a hotel worth checking out on the way to dinner. Or I might do a flying visit to the lake on the way to YNP...seems a shame to miss that...

Conversely, is there an area to avoid? We're a small multi-gen family group. Happy to walk to restaurants if the area is safe.

Thanks in advance!

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopover hotel - airport area noise?

We've only stayed one night at an airport hotel, on our way back from YNP to Moab. There was no noise problem at all at the place we stayed but if you want to walk to dinner that was out of the question.

Another time on the way back from YNP we stayed in Sandy we're there are a heap of chain hotels to choose from and plenty of chain restaurants within walking distance; possibly some unique restaurants as well.

There's also an area north of SLC, whose name eludes me at the moment, that seems to have good rates on hotels and restaurants.

The local DE's always seem to have good advice on this subject and I'm sure they'll be around at some stage to give you some more ideas.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopover hotel - airport area noise?

If I understand this correctly, you're simply transiting the SLC area driving - not flying in/out of SLC, right? If that's the case, there's no reason to stay at the airport. While there are moderately priced hotels there, it's not on your immediate route. Granted, it's not far off (maybe 10-15 minutes) but there are a ton of options right along the I-15 corridor. You could look at hotels anywhere from Provo all the way up to Ogden.

It also depends on your ultimate destination in Yellowstone. For example, if you're headed to Jackson, WY and the southern gateway to YNP, your quickest route is actually up I-80 to Evanston. In that case, Park City would be a fantastic stopover.

Hope that helps.

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,020 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopover hotel - airport area noise?

Thanks to both. I'll have to look at Sandy when I have access to maps (i.e. at a real computer, not phone!).

Yes, we're just transiting SLC. At this point, we just want to drive as far as we reasonably can that first day, and possibly arrive at YNP early enough the next to see a few things. Or at least not have to drive in the dark. Our first

nights are actually at the far end - Roosevelt Lodge. We'll be leaving through Grand Teton, though - might Park City be a better choice for the return leg stopover?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopover hotel - airport area noise?

Here's a few options:

From Provo up through Sandy just about every exit has an option - very suburban environments with chain hotels and restaurants. Just check it out on Google Maps.

I-15 goes literally through downtown SLC so you could easily get off there and get both a nice hotel at a reasonable rate plus walking distance to local restaurants.

Another interesting option would be Ogden downtown. It's just a couple minutes off I-15. The Hampton Inn downtown is fantastic and cheap, plus there's a ton of cool local restaurants on historic 25th street just two blocks away. That would be cheaper and probably more interesting than Salt Lake. Try Roosters for dinner.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,879 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopover hotel - airport area noise?

Seconding Tumbleweeds....plenty of other options in order to avoid the higher downtown costs and enjoy an easy off/on to the freeway.

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,020 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopover hotel - airport area noise?

Thank you both- I will look into that!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
401 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopover hotel - airport area noise?

Here is a motel that is nice and right off the freeway (I-15) and it is very reasonably priced. This is where we lodge our out-of-town guests that are not here to go skiing:

http://www.slpavilioninn.com/

We usually work out some kind of deal over the phone with them for $65/night but their regular rate is $79. Their breakfast is delicious and you are near restaurants if you choose to eat out.

So Cal
Level Contributor
9,020 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stopover hotel - airport area noise?

Thanks again.

Tumbleweed, I had assumed the best route leaving Yellowstone and going through Grand Teton would be the 89 around Bear Lake and rejoining the 15 around...Riverside? Brigham City?...and spending that night in or around SLC.

Going through Park City would be what, the 89 to 30 to 16 to 80/189? (The 232 looks a little iffy...) Or take the 189/191 swinging around east > south on the 189 to pick up the 80/189? It looks like a longer drive either way. Any pros/cons for any of those routes (other than Park City being a more interesting spot)?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
15,879 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stopover hotel - airport area noise?

The drive down 89 through Bear Lake, Logan Canyon and to Brigham City to meet up with I-15 is generally regarded as the most scenic route. It might take some extra time especially if you make any stops along the way- which we usually do either for curd cheese in Thayne or Raspberry shakes in Garden City, or visiting the Oregon Trail Center in Montpelier or the Minnetonka Cave in St Charles etc.

The other way you could take would be to follow 89 south and instead of taking the route west to Montpelier keep going south on the road along the border to Cokeville and hwy 30. Stay on that till hwy16 through Randolph and Woodruff to I-80. (rte 232 would be out of your way). This is the most direct rte, though even I have trouble following it, usually taking a wrong turn at Cokeville. Last time we went the intersection heading either south or to Montpelier was being improved and may have better signage. The roads for the most part are two lane and local, but not too heavily traveled.

Or, for an easier route, but slightly longer, take 189 through BIg Piney and Kemmerer.

10. Re: Stopover hotel - airport area noise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:33 am, February 19, 2012