We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

skiing in april

6 posts
Save Topic
skiing in april

I was looking at traveling the 1st week of April (spring break) with my 9 year old and was pleasantly surprised that the ski season lasts until mid April. Is this generally true or am I taking a big chance on the weather with traveling that late in the season?

This will be my first time in Utah and wondered if anyone could keep me insight on where to stay with a 9 year old boy that is a beginning skier and snowboarder and would like to try snowboard schools. I am a beginner skier. I like the idea of the ice skating and tubing hill at cliff lodge but have read some pretty poor reviews of the place. Any ideas?

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: skiing in april

Normally, I would suggest Park City resort for this but being April your best bet for snow is Snowbird. I haven't tubed or skated there though. The tubing hill on Parley's Canyon is very nice. The skaing rink looks adequate to me at Snowbird-though small. There is a huge rink that was built for the Olympics in the south end of the Valley you could check out. You could possibly wait until it gets closer to see how we're doing with snow depths before making your reservations. It's too soon to tell now. That is not high season so you should have no problem getting a room somewhere-anywhere you want to go. Usually we have lots of precipitation in April that's why the resorts are all open until mid-April but no one can guarantee the weather. It could be ice or fresh powder depending on the day.

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: skiing in april

Normally, I would suggest Park City resort for this but being April your best bet for snow is Snowbird. I haven't tubed or skated there though. The tubing hill on Parley's Canyon is very nice. The skaing rink looks adequate to me at Snowbird-though small. There is a huge rink that was built for the Olympics in the south end of the Valley you could check out. You could possibly wait until it gets closer to see how we're doing with snow depths before making your reservations. It's too soon to tell now. That is not high season so you should have no problem getting a room somewhere-anywhere you want to go. Usually we have lots of precipitation in April that's why the resorts are all open until mid-April but no one can guarantee the weather. It could be ice or fresh powder depending on the day.

6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: skiing in april

Thanks, Saphfire...

I have read many of your other reviews already in the differnt utah/ski forums, so I was hoping to hear from you. I am learning...(first time to post on trip advisor and first time out west to ski). I have always wanted to make it there to ski but don't want to be disappointed about if I choose the wrong time.

I was looking either at Cliff Lodge at Snowbird or the Canyons resort. We don't mind paying a little extra for nice room and ski in ski out access. Which would you recommend for quality or would you recommend a different resort?

Does anyone have any impression about Cliff lodge...good bad or otherwise that they could share with me from recent, personal experience?

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: skiing in april

I have stayed at both resorts over the years in the summers only. The Canyons is newer and the rooms are very nice but I was not impressed with the sound proofing between walls, or the attitude of the front desk and the management, or the sprawling atmosphere, or the pool area. My son and his friends don't enjoy it there as much either. I have always enjoyed Snowbird for winter skiing and as a summer get away. I like skiing the Canyons when there is lots of new snow and it's not too warm. I would prefer the Park City resort if I had a 9 yr old boarder though. More going on but neither are as convenient for swimming as any of the lodges at snowbird. I love the Cliff lodge for it's convenience, containment, and the spa is wonderful. Great treatment packages but you probably don't care about that. The rooms are clean, large with spacious bathrooms. The front desk is always eager to accomodate, the views are outstanding. The pool on top (the one not for kids) is small but the ambience up there is unbeatable and the one at the bottom is very large. Both have nice jacuzzis. There is a game room for kids in the basement. I've hosted many kids birthday parties at Snowbird in the summer. Always found it to be a very safe, cozy, kid friendly atmosphere. Lots to do without ever leaving the grounds You have to explore. Never stayed in the winter. I also often stay at the Lodge or at the Inn at Snowbird. Check it out. I like all three lodges for different reasons. Cliff is newer and more modern and elegant with no sun decks. The other two more rustic with no shops on site but well cared for and decorated nicely and have decks which is nice to have in the spring. Everything there is so close to each other there it really doesn't matter where you choose to stay. Guests can use any of the facilities in any of the hotels. All are same distance from the central plaza shopping area where the tram is. When I need a kitchen- the Inn is my favorite choice. The lodge has a steam room by their pool, I like that.

As far as not being dissappointed-it's just so hard to say right now what kind of snow year we will have. I think if you come first of April, you have a 90% chance of (at the very least) there will be a good base by then and the skiing will be great from 10:30 to 2:30 on the top of Little Cloud and Gad 2 chair at Snowbird. Both have groomed runs for beginners. Little cloud is a bit steeper. Plan on skiing at Alta,too and maybe go to Brighton one day for more boarding. There is much less likelihood that anything in Park City will have the snow depths or quality of snow that time of year. IT gets very mushy there in the spring especially near the bottom and sun facing slopes and freezes at night. If there's a storm-it can be solid ice under the heavy snow and very difficult skiing. Again Snowbird and Alta are your best bets for fabulous spring conditions.

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
355 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: skiing in april

The beginning of April should be okay at all the areas, barring an unusually lousy spring. March and April have decent snow most years. In most years, the areas close due to lack of visitors rather than lack of snow. Of course, it tends to be heavier snow in the spring, but we can get mid-winter-like conditions, too.

I would hesitate taking a beginning skier and snowboarder to Snowbird. Other than that, the Cliff Lodge should be fine.

Have you considered Deer Valley? They take great care of their runs and would be a good bet for spring. They have discounted lodging the last two or three weeks of the season, too. They close April 16 this year.

Tempe, Az
Level Contributor
641 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: skiing in april

I'll have to disagree about skiing at the Park City areas in April! All will definitely

have plenty of snow, BUT, at least 1/2 of their terrain will be wet Sping conditions by 11 AM. Believe me, I've been there and it's the Truth. Due to their Lower elevations

Park City, The Canyons And Deer Valley warm up quickly and often their skiing,especially on the lower mountain beginner areas, is almost like skiing in mash potatoes. Stick to

the Cottonwood Canyon resorts. I'd say Snowbird has best lodging available, but Solitude and Brighton are excellent for beginners boarders and skiers. FYI

6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: skiing in april

thanks for all the insight. it is difficult to decide what i want to do but i appreciate the helpful tips! i know that so much depends on the type of spring that Utah is going to have this year, that part is not any different than Michigan, i guess. it is a little confusing to know what would be best.....

Tempe, Az
Level Contributor
641 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: skiing in april

FYI: I've been skiing in the SLC area in mid to late March for over 15 years! Nine times out of 10 all the skiing at Alta/Snowbird as well as at Brighton & Solitude has been truly great. However, I'd have to honestly say that IF you go in April 9 times out of 10

their skiing will be only FAIR, at best, with

those awful Spring conditions. You will not go wrong making a reservation in late March or the first week in April at any of the Snowbird or Alta lodging options! :+)

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,301 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: skiing in april

I have to second that (from Dave in Tempe) and say that I've been skiing here for 25 years.

Tempe, Az
Level Contributor
641 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: skiing in april

Thanks for the support. I'd not intended to

actually "put down" skiing at the Park City resorts, but only to state that skiing there in April is Not normally when you experience

wet Spring snow conditions. For beginners this would be frustrating . BTW, you can stay

in the downtown SLC vicinity at a moderate price and drive 35 minutes to Alta/Snowbird as well as Brighton or Solitude. IMO, a late March trip would be far better alternative!