We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of March or Mid-April--How is the skiing? Crowds?

Which Salt Lake City hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
End of March or Mid-April--How is the skiing? Crowds?

I have been reading about Utah skiing and I could kick myself for not knowing about it before now. My daughter and I are mostly East Coast skiiers (Mid-Atlantic at that) with intermediate skills.

The skiing and scenery at the Utah resorts look to good to pass up, but I hate crowded slopes and long lift lines (just like everyone else, I guess).

We could go for a few days either at the end of March or around the 8th or April (the week before Easter). If we go on a weekend during those times, will it be crowded? Is the snow still good? I realize that some of the resorts may be closed in early April (according to skiutah.com).

P.S. Thank you spaphirebluez and DaveNTempe for all the good advice I have been reading.

Park City, UT
Level Contributor
355 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: End of March or Mid-April--How is the skiing? Crowds?

In a lot of ways, March and (early) April is the best time to ski out here. The snow pack has built up and the days are much longer than mid-winter. The weather is reliably sunny, with the occasional spring storm. There are often good deals at the end of the season.

Skiing in the West is nothing like the East Coast or Mid-Atlantic experience. We don't get the crowds you do so a five minute lift line seems long for us (it can get up to ten minutes on really busy weekends at the popular lifts).

Since you can fly to SLC in five hours and then drive here in under an hour, it can be faster to get here than to New England.

There are a lot of people who gave up Eastern skiing for such reasons!

If you know what kind of vacation you like, you can get lots of recommendations about where to stay, ski, and eat. These range from skiing long and hard at Snowbird, to old-style meandering at Alta, to long cruisers and long lunches in the sun at Deer Valley.

Have fun!

Tempe, Az
Level Contributor
633 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: End of March or Mid-April--How is the skiing? Crowds?

I've been skiing in the SLC area in mid to late March for over 15 years! The best is usually before April 1st. Due to their lower elevations frequently the Park City resorts (Park City, The Canyons & Deer Valley) have Spring conditions after about 11AM on the lower 1/2 of their terrain. However, skiing at Alta, Snowbird, Solitude & Brighton can be absolutely superb weil into April. Also, their lift lines even on weekends usually never are even 4-5 minutes! Warmer temperatures (lower 30's) on slopes make for a wonderful skiing experience and the scenery

is just another huge plus. Go to the website at: www.SkiUtah.com and order their FREE Utah Ski Planner. Almost 100 pages of useful Utah ski information. Hey, with much cheaper lift tickets, dynamite ski conditions and easy access to many nearby resorts it puts Colorado and Lake Tahoe to shame. C'mon out and you will have a great time.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: End of March or Mid-April--How is the skiing? Crowds?

Thanks al and Dave for more great advice. From what I've been reading, Utah skiing sounds almost too good to be true. Great variety of resorts, incredible snow, cheap flights and close proximity to SLC, wonderful views, cheap lift tickets (no more than what we pay for a 900' vertical), unpretentious, etc. I'd better start going out there before everyone else figures it out!

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: End of March or Mid-April--How is the skiing? Crowds?

Don't kid yourself...everyone knows already but, they stop coming in the end of March and April so it is definetly the BEST time to come to ski. Even many of the locals have cooled their boards off and traded them in for golf clubs.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
264 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: End of March or Mid-April--How is the skiing? Crowds?

Thanks saphirebluez,

I realized it was kind of a dumb thing to say as soon as I hit the "post" button. After all, the Olympics were just held there. However, while I am sure all serious skiiers have always known about the great Utah skiing, for whatever reason Colorado seems to get most of attention around here, at least for us more "casual" skiiers. Looking into Utah was almost an afterthought. What I find amazing is the great number of resorts so close to SLC, and apparently all with great snow. The reasonable prices, lodging choices and relative lack of crowds are bonuses.

I must also say that the skiutah.com website is superb.

We'll try to stay out of the way of the serious skiiers.