We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the weather mid April? Have one week of Spring...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
81 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
What's the weather mid April? Have one week of Spring...

We are a family (16yo) and love to site see...don't know if we want to drive the long distance to Moab (safari going on) and have already been to Bryce and Zion and Escalante...are there places to see within a couple hours that would be interesting? Hiking a little but not intense or long hikes...no theme parks or Disney stuff...thanks guys!

Mentioned in this post
salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the weather mid April? Have one week of Spring...

Do you golf? I wonder why you would want to come here in the spring if you don't ski? That's the best time to ski here. NO crowds and lots of new snow. April showers bring May flowers. There isn't much hiking because there will be a lot of snow up top. You could go snowmobiling -if you like that? I would plan a trip to Moab if I were you. Go to Goblin Valley, too. It's really cool. Look into a daily or overnight river trip on the Green River, San Juan River. Go to Lake Powell and rent a houseboat for a few days from Bullfrog Marina. It's is an amazing place on earth -like no where else on earth. Fly in and out of Vegas for convenience to that area.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the weather mid April? Have one week of Spring...

Most of the sites of interest are at least a couple hours drive from SLC. Within 3.5 hours you can make it to Torrey, the gateway to Capitol Reef National Park. Stunning scenery, lots of great short hiking trails, and a much lower key atmosphere than the other national parks in Utah. And far removed from the motorized idiocy that will be going on in Moab.

If you really like wild places like the Escalante area, I wouldn't bother with "Lake" Powell. It's the destruction of a natural place, nothing to celebrate.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
Capitol Reef National Park
Capitol Reef National...
1,262 Reviews
Capitol Reef National Park, UT
Utah
Utah
United States
Moab