We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Night Stay In SLC Ideas Please?

Mo
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
One Night Stay In SLC Ideas Please?

Hello, we will be staying one night in SLC after I fly in, would like ideas on which hotels might be best, we would like to go out for a nice dinner that night and the next day plan to do some shopping. Which area would be best to do good Christmas shopping? I'll be flying in on a friday night in December.

Many thanks! Lulu :)

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Night Stay In SLC Ideas Please?

Lots of choices for hotels - stay at one downtown near Gateway Mall and shop there. You can walk around and won't need your car much if you do it this way. The marriot and the embassy suites are my favorites.

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Night Stay In SLC Ideas Please?

Gateway is probably you're best choice for shopping. It's hardly unique, kind of a Disneyland version of downtown, but it does have more character than a suburban mall.

There are myriad good restaurants downtown of different genres. If you let us know what style of cuisine you're looking for, that would help us recommend a few.

Kansas City
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: One Night Stay In SLC Ideas Please?

Lulu,

We go to SLC every year and always stay at the Embassy Suites downtown (around $109/night). You can't beat their free social hour (snacks & drinks) and free breakfast (made to order omelettes, oatmeal, pancakes, french toast, etc.) The rooms are nice too. It's not far from the Gateway shopping center which we love to shop at and also dine as there are nice restaurants there (and also around there). There are also good restaurants near Embassy within walking distance.

Have fun. You will enjoy SLC!

Jill

ps......if you have a car you might enjoy the outlets in Park City. That's always one of my destinations as they have every outlet imaginable and it's not too far from downtown. (20/25 minute drive?)

Tempe, Az
Level Contributor
633 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Night Stay In SLC Ideas Please?

You can avoid having to get a rental car by staying at this Embassy Suites location and take the Trolley (light rail) nearby to the downtown area for shopping at both the Gateway Center (best) or the Crossroads Mall. Several good restaurants naar the Embassy Suites are in the Trolley Square complex such as the Old Spaghetti Factory. Be sure to check out the huge Christmas lights displayed at the nearby Mormon Tabernale which is adjacent to the large Crossroads Mall downtown.