We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When will Fall Colors be Best for Photography at Zion and...

Davis, CAlifornia
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
When will Fall Colors be Best for Photography at Zion and...

I am planning a photography trip to Zion and Bryce. I can start my trip almost anytime -- as soon as 9/1 and as late as 10/23. This will be a 10-12 day trip and I'm leaving from Northern California.

Also, would you recommend going I 80 through Ely or down through California through Las Vegas? In general, I don't really enjoy the southern route.

Thank you.

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When will Fall Colors be Best for Photography at Zion and...

Take your trip in the mid to end of October for the best colors. Go through Tahoe and into Salt Lake on 80 if you don't like the southern route. Then take 15 south to Zion. The colors in the mountains here are just starting to change. The mountain maples are peaking red and the aspens have not started. Mid October you may get to see both the colors in the north and the south at their best. Lots of photo opps.

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When will Fall Colors be Best for Photography at Zion and...

Take US50 from Lake tahoe or Reno (alt 50) across NV and UT to I15, much nicer than I80

Salt Lake City, UT
Level Contributor
908 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When will Fall Colors be Best for Photography at Zion and...

I'd steer you more towards early to mid October. By late October, most of the high elevation leaves will already have fallen, especially in northern Utah.

Definitely, I would also recommend US 50 across central Nevada. A beautiful, desolate drive away from the hustle and bustle of the freeway.

san diego
Level Contributor
129 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When will Fall Colors be Best for Photography at Zion and...

I just returned from Zion and Bryce (Sept 20-26). Nothing was turning at Zion. A few aspens were starting to turn at Bryce. Highway 143 between Panguitch and Parowan had some fairly large stands of golden aspens. (This is a spectacular drive also, especially heading from Brian Head to Parowan. More of a bobsled run than a highway----hairpin turns, steep grades, etc.)

san diego
Level Contributor
129 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When will Fall Colors be Best for Photography at Zion and...

I just returned from Zion and Bryce (Sept 20-26). Nothing was turning at Zion. A few aspens were starting to turn at Bryce. Highway 143 between Panguitch and Parowan had some fairly large stands of golden aspens. (This is a spectacular drive also, especially heading from Brian Head to Parowan. More of a bobsled run than a highway----hairpin turns, steep grades, etc.)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
820 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: When will Fall Colors be Best for Photography at Zion and...

We are planning LAS - Mesquite, overnight and then set out in the morning (Sat) to Zion, up to Bryce, across to Cedar City and then back down to Mesquite.

Have the leaves changed now?

Thanks,

Ellen