We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In SLC Christmas Day -What to do??

houston
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
In SLC Christmas Day -What to do??

Will be in SLC with my 2 teenage girls, 14 and 16, for 3 days over Christmas, including Christmas Day. Need ideas of activities for Christmas Day. Would like to attend church service and have a nice meal at a restaurant; maybe do an outdoor activity in the afternoon. Any ideas of what would be open on Christmas day?

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City Intl Airport
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: In SLC Christmas Day -What to do??

The paper will post christmas house light tours which is fun in the evening. Temple Square lights are spectacular also. What church do you belong to? The the most beautiful church is the Cathedral of the Madeline..they have a midnight candlelight service on Christmas eve. Go up to Park City and shop Main Street. Most of the shops are open. Have lunch. The Grand America does a high tea and has a very nice Christmas day dinner as well as Little America. You can ice skate at Gallivan Center, or see a movie at Gateway Mall.

Mentioned in this post
Temple Square
Temple Square
4,333 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Park City
Park City
Wasatch Range, UT
Grand America Hotel
Grand America Hotel
1,621 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Little America Hotel
Little America Hotel
1,961 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
houston
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: In SLC Christmas Day -What to do??

Thanks so much for taking the time to give me some ideas of what to do at Christmas in SLC. I am Catholic, so the Cathedral mass looks wonderful - great suggestion. I will check into the dinner at the Grand American hotel for Christmas day. I am just glad so things will be open!! Also, since I am from the south, ice skating outside looks like great fun - something you definitely cannot do here!!

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: In SLC Christmas Day -What to do??

My pleasure. Snowbird also has a skating rink and a sledding hill. Of course, there is also skiing up there ;-) Get a City Weekly when you get here for more ideas, places to eat, and things that will be open for the rest of your visit. I think Body Worlds will still be here at the Leonardo, too. I went the other day with my teen. It was amazing. We both loved it.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
16,050 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: In SLC Christmas Day -What to do??

The Christmas Eve midnight Mass at the Cathedral of the Madeline will probably fill up. As the time gets closer, it will be posted on their website and you'll be able to call and request seats.

http://www.saltlakecathedral.org/arts.php

Last year while I was there over Christmas week, I got the urge to go. I'm not Catholic, but my church (LDS, aka Mormon) doesn't have a specific Christmas Eve service. I called the cathedral 3-4 days before, but alas, the seats were all spoken for.

The cathedral is close enough to several of the downtown hotels to walk, even in winter.

You're almost certain to see snow, either coming down or a substantial amount on the ground. This really adds to the Christmas spirit, at Temple Square and if you can go to the evening Mass. At Temple Square, you'll find the buildings and grounds lit up, including the plaza and gardens east of Temple Square proper, a life-size Nativity scene and a collection of smaller ones, and continual musical, drama, and other programs every day from after Thanksgiving to New Year's Eve. At the Temple Square visitor centers, you can get a listing of all the public events that is something like 8 pages long.

Most businesses will be closed Christmas Day. At the moment, there is no real downtown shopping because downtown is under renovation. Two large malls were once there and are now being rebuilt from the ground up, and the nearest mall is Gateway, about a mile west. Just so you know, it's an outdoor mall. I doubt it will be open the actual Christmas Day. Hotel restaurants will probably be open; those nearest to downtown are the Plaza and Marriott. If I happen to be in town on Christmas Day, I usually spend a lot of time at Temple Square just because the holiday spirit is so strong there. :)

For an outdoor activity, try driving to Antelope Island, about 35 miles north. It's a wildlife preserve on one of the biggest islands in the Great Salt Lake. I don't know how much that will interest teenagers, but you know your kids best. There are real live buffalo, all kinds of migratory birds, and a historic ranch that may or may not have tours that day. Christmas in much of Utah is pretty quiet and usually family-centered.

Mentioned in this post
Temple Square
Temple Square
4,333 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Great Salt Lake
Great Salt Lake
756 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Utah
Utah
United States
Salt Lake City UT
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: In SLC Christmas Day -What to do??

If the Madeleine is full you can go to midnight mass at St Catherine of Siena Newman Center near the U of U We have a great choir that is doing caroling at 11:30 and then Mass. The address is 170 University Street, the church is just past 13th East on 2nd South, on the left side. I live in SLC but don't really want to cook this Christmas so found this site for suggestions, thanks all for the info. Happy Holidays!

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,050 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: In SLC Christmas Day -What to do??

* "I live in SLC but don't really want to cook this Christmas so found this site for suggestions," *

LOL!!!

:^D

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,050 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: In SLC Christmas Day -What to do??

Here are some pictures of what Temple Square looks like during the Christmas season.

ldschurchnews.com/articles/56285/Church-head…

Mentioned in this post
Temple Square
Temple Square
4,333 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,050 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: In SLC Christmas Day -What to do??

Just curious, Genny, if you did spend Christmas in Salt Lake and what you did.

I hope you enjoyed the night-long snowfall on Christmas night; at least it held off long enough so that if you wanted, you could go to the cathedral for the Christmas Eve mass.

Unlike San Francisco, where there is quite a lot for visitors to do on the 25th, SL is pretty quiet. I had some visiting plans fall through, so I did a little joyriding which I had to cut short because the weather got too nasty. I went to East Canyon and thought of going to Evanston to sightsee, but the weather at Parley's Summit was turning pretty bad so I stopped there. The community of Summit Park up there is semi-rural but close to the amenities of the city.

Hopefully you got to enjoy the decorated grounds and buildings, Nativity scenes, and some of the programs on Temple Square; and were able to find a good outdoor activity that you could do in the snowy weather.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Temple Square
Temple Square
4,333 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
Paramus, New Jersey
Level Contributor
757 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: In SLC Christmas Day -What to do??

My husband & son are traveling to SLC next week and I was wondering if the lights would still be up in Temple Square? When do they take them down.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City Intl...
Salt Lake City, UT
Temple Square
Temple Square
4,333 Reviews
Salt Lake City, UT
San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,050 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: In SLC Christmas Day -What to do??

The lights stay on until New Year's Eve, which is when there is a First Night celebration that covers much of the downtown area. Then the lights and trees get to rest for another 11 months.

Here are some pictures, which don't really do justice to the actual sight. I have been there many times during the holidays and it really is special. Maybe you'll all have a chance to see it some year.

ldschurchnews.com/articles/56285/Church-head…

If you can't come West, probably the nearest Mormon temple to you that has special lighting, with Christmas programs in the visitor center and grounds, is in Washington, D.C.

Mentioned in this post
Washington DC
Washington DC
District of Columbia