We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve in SLC

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve in SLC

I have a week booked at The Lodge, Snowbird from the 3rd of January but fly into SLC 3 days early on NYE without accommodation booked. I have seen very nice (but rather pricey) B&Bs are available but, as I am definitely on a budget, am wondering if there is any network for single rooms available in private homes in the SLC area? I am a 45 year old man travelling alone - in case that makes any difference... Also I am hoping to find an appropriate way to celebrate the New Year. Any suggestions?

West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve in SLC

Are you going to have a car?

During the holidays, rooms in properties that cater to business travelers should not cost too much.

You could try near the airport, in West Valley City near the E Center or along Interstate 15.

As for rooms in private homes, I'm not sure about that.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=468&cat=281

This website caters to people looking for long-term renters. But maybe someone will have something just for a few days over the holidays?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
405 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve in SLC

I saw a story on TV about this place that rents rooms really cheap. I looked it up and their website is http://ut123.com/ I don't know anything about them so I can't recommend them but at least it's an option. If I had an extra room I'd invite you over but the shoe is full.

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve in SLC

Thanks PicnPac (and Utardh) for your posts, I have been off line for a while for various reasons and have been tardy in getting back. I do appreciate the advice of both though and will check them out... Thanks again.

I'm still hoping that there might be a specific event that is 'public' for attendance on NYE too... Best wishes, Meldruas

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,255 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve in SLC

The public NYE event is First Night. Lots of music at various places around downtown, mostly around the Salt Palace, some art and performances, no alcohol and fireworks to end the night. It is about $10

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve in SLC

Snowbird usually has something going on NYE. Have you checked the other options up there like The Inn or at the The Lodge. Also check at Alta. It's just next door. If you want to go to First Night- check into the University Guest House. They have rooms for around $65 a night. The location and the property is excellent for the price. You can take TRAX public transit right into town or watch the fireworks from the hotel. Free breakfast.

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve in SLC

Thanks kbecjeans & sapphireblue, First night sounds like the event I'm looking for and the University Guest House sounds good too... it's a pity that they appear to have a 1 night only rule (according to their website) but that certainly looks like the place to be for NYE. :-)

salt lake city
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Eve in SLC

It's not a one night only place. Call to make your reservation. The website isn't the best thing about the place.

8. Re: New Years Eve in SLC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, October 05, 2009