We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday Night in the City

NJ
Level Contributor
172 posts
388 reviews
Save Topic
Saturday Night in the City

I've done some research and received some advice previously, so I'm down to a final decision on a hotel. I'll be coming back into the city on Saturday afternoon Sept 20th and would like to get a hotel in a good area to see a couple of the major sites late afternoon and have access to get dinner in the evening (where we can walk around and it's basically safe). We like to walk so I'd prefer something where we can come right out of the hotel and hit everything. "Little America" seems nice and very reasonable, and looks like it may work. Just want to make sure on the distance to the main section, safety at night, and some dinner and evening options.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Death Valley Junction, Death Valley National Park
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday Night in the City

Hmmm, if I had limited time and wanted to be right in the midst of everything--all other factors being equal (which we know they're not)--I wouldn't pick Little America. It's about 4 blocks south of the main downtown area, and SLC blocks are long. A mile is only about 7-8 blocks.

Based strictly on location, I'd be inclined toward the Downtown Marriott, Plaza, or Radisson.

The Marriott is one of two buildings left standing in a city block that is under total renovation (it was a mall and is being rebuilt). It is directly across from the Salt Palace, Abravanel Symphony Hall, and Temple Square. Temple Square is open to visitors until 9:00 p.m. TRAX light rail stops practically at the door, and there are several dining choices nearby. The biggest variety for dining and shopping is Gateway, which you get to by taking TRAX westbound.

The Plaza is kitty-corner from this Marriott, and the Radisson is a couple blocks south and east.

The Little America location has always felt a bit isolated from downtown to me, and I wouldn't be totally at ease walking on South Main late at night because there's little activity, few businesses open, etc. I feel more comfortable around the other hotels as there is more activity and people out and about--plus they're closer in.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday Night in the City

* "the Radisson is a couple blocks south and east." *

Oops...should have said south and west.

NJ
Level Contributor
172 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saturday Night in the City

Thanks Frisco...I was reading some of your previous posts and you had mentioned you liked The Carlton. Looking at the map it looks to be around that area. Also, how about Monaco or Peery? It's only the one night so it's not that big a deal, but The Marriott is a little high. Also, I don't know if it matters for a Saturday night, but I'd probably rather not be right next to the construction. The location (close to the sites) is the most important thing though, so I'll go with Marriott (or Radisson or Plaza) if these others are not recommended. Thanks again.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saturday Night in the City

Of those three, the Marriott and Plaza are closest to “the sites” (if you mean downtown, which is presently a big hole in the ground; Temple Square, Family History Library, symphony hall, etc). The Radisson is a couple blocks farther, near the Delta Center where the Jazz play and the Gateway if you want to walk there (take care walking around Gateway at night). From the Marriott, Plaza, and Carlton, you can take TRAX right to Gateway.

The Monaco, Peery, and Carlton are all historic hotels. The Monaco is around 12 stories or so, the others are 3-4. In terms of luxury rating, probably #1 Monaco, #2 Peery, #3 Carlton. For proximity to downtown and Temple Square, #1 Carlton, #2 Monaco, #3 Peery.

I like the Carlton because it’s one I’ve settled into using and I like the staff and atmosphere, but it has a lot less amenities and services. It isn’t bare-bones, but some people would find it Spartan. It appeals to overseas and older visitors, genealogy researchers who camp out there for a week and like the economy aspect, and also folks who like the idea of rolling out of bed to a hot breakfast and returning to their room to get ready for the day. One of the Peery’s selling points is being near nightlife, if that interests you. It also has a couple of full restaurants right in the building.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saturday Night in the City

IIRC, you were arriving pretty late. After about 9:00 p.m., there isn't a lot going on anywhere downtown, except maybe a few clubs. I'm not the authority on those, so maybe someone else can fill in the details. Salt Lake also has street people, whom you might encounter any time.

Temple Square closes at 9:00, and restaurants will either be closed or about to. The big hotels may keep their restaurants open late, but I don't have any specific times. Much of your activity might have to wait for morning.

Are you renting a car? If not, most hotels have an airport shuttle. Not positive about the Monaco, but a hotel of that class probably does. The Carlton has a shuttle only in the daytime, but if you get a receipt from your taxi, they will reimburse you.

Now I remember. I told you to avoid the dive motels on N. West Temple near the airport, right? Well, just fyi, two "persons of interest" were found last week at that Motel 6. They were wanted in connection with a bizarre case in CA where a guy went missing and his car was later found down a ravine, burned to toast with human remains that have not yet been identified. A month later, his wife vanished and the door was found kicked in, blood and damage inside. On a routine check of motel lots for stolen vehicles, guess what was found at the Salt Lake Airport Motel 6. The fellow picked up with her is like half her age, and we still don't know the whole story. This isn't necessarily a daily occurrence, but motels on main drags near airports anywhere often attract clients that you wouldn't find in a better downtown hotel,

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saturday Night in the City

* "I told you to avoid the dive motels on N. West Temple near the airport, right?" *

Sigh. Another typo. I'm getting careless in my dotage.

The street is W. North Temple.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
401 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saturday Night in the City

As a local I'd say Frisco has nailed it with the advice he gave you. He knows his stuff...! :-)

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saturday Night in the City

I'll say hello to Pic since I see your regular posts here.

BTW, this roadrunner is a hen, not a rooster :)

NJ
Level Contributor
172 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Saturday Night in the City

Carlton and Monaco are sold out. I think I'll go with Plaza for $99 over Marriott $200+ and Peery at $157 (and a few blocks out).

Thanks for all the help, and great story on the "persons of interest".

San Francisco
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Saturday Night in the City

The Plaza is not quite as "upscale" as a Marriott or Little America, but it should be fine for you. Based on location, you couldn't find a place more conveniently located to the Big Hole (downtown), Temple Square, the event venues, Gateway, and public transit. And $99 in any big-city downtown area is a bargain.

A unique thing about this hotel is that several floors are set aside as housing for the nearby LDS Business College. So in your brief time there, you may see a lot of young ladies (the men's housing is around the corner). The school is operated by the LDS church and has standards of housing conditions and student conduct that are more structured than at an average state college, so you're probably not going to have a lot of trouble. :)

The Plaza aas a casual restaurant (JBs, part of a chain). I go there often when I'm in SL. Nice salad bar.