We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving SLC to Denver in one day in November

New Zealand
Level Contributor
86 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Driving SLC to Denver in one day in November

Hello

We will be driving from SLC to Denver in one day mid November. I have read reviews and am very confused as to the best route to travel.

We would like to travel a scenic route and want advice on where to stop, places to see along the way.

We want to experience as much of the scenery as we can and the beautiful mountains. We would like to see the snow but do not ski or hike.

so questions are

what route do we take and what should we stop and see and what should we avoid.

5 replies to this topic
Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving SLC to Denver in one day in November

Hi sandy,

Maybe you could tell us what the purpose of your trip to the US is? Are you flying into SLC and driving to Denver? That doesnt make any sense to me. I have to assume your are on a driving trip and stopping along the way in SLC for a break. Is that it? Tell us your interests and overall interary and we can make some good suggestions!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,558 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving SLC to Denver in one day in November

There are a variety of routes. It's do-able in a day - we do it frequently. But it's a LONG day. The most scenic route is to take I-70 west from Denver. The drive through the mountains is spectacular, especially from Denver to Grand Junction. Then it switches to desert driving. Take I-70 to US6 in Green River, then US6 for two hours up to I-15. This will take you most of the day. There are some sidetrips you could do, but you will need dawn to dusk on this one.

Have fun.

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman, Crested Butte, Gunnison
Level Contributor
8,900 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving SLC to Denver in one day in November

The OP has posted similar questions on several forums. I'm not sure they understand driving distances as most of their 1-day sightseeing drives are between 500-750 miles. They should understand that google provides approximate driving times. It doesn't account for stops needed to fuel the car (or it's occupants), or the occasional need for an additional stop to use the restroom.

Regardless, I made that drive earlier this year (r/t). Driving solo it took me 8.5 hours each way stopping once for gas and twice for a restroom.

Edited: 3:11 pm, October 07, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
5,181 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving SLC to Denver in one day in November

US 6 to I-70 is the way to go. It's more mountain driving, but far more scenic than going via I-80. Both take about the same amount of time, around 8 hours without stopping. Dusk will be before 6:00, so I'm not really sure that you'd have a lot of time for side trips and excursions.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
19,788 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving SLC to Denver in one day in November

Sandy, what is it that you are trying to accomplish with this trip? You've asked this same question about driving between destinations in one day on several forums. All of the drives you've asked about will be 8 to 10 hours or more with minimal stops. You won't be seeing anything but the asphalt thru the windshield of the car. Day after day of driving 8 to 10 hours sounds exhausting.

Reply to: Driving SLC to Denver in one day in November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted