We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living around Port Angeles.

Pensacola
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Living around Port Angeles.

I've just found out about a possible job opportunity in the Olympic peninsula area. I would have to travel to what is descibed as some remote areas. Also, I would be stationed around the Port Angeles area. I'm curious what it's like to travel in the region during the winter time. Are there some roads closed, or are they clear all year? Also, what is day to day living like in the winter and even the summer too. I'd love to know what some residents think are pros and cons to living there.

Any help you can give will greatly aid me in my decision to move to the area. Thanks for the help.

port angeles ,wa
Level Contributor
34 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living around Port Angeles.

Sorry that no one has responded to your questions let me see if I can help.

Winter in this area can be wonderful and awful at different times - Wonderful because the majority of time the temperatures are quite temperat in other words low 50 - high 40s day and low 30's high 40s at night depending on the directions the storms are coming in.

Traveling on the roads outside of town can be icy in the a.m. because of the dew point level but the road crews keep a good grip on that and caution plus skill can be the answer. Most all the roads here will be open all year (except hurricane ridge during the snow)

Day to day living will be dependent on what you want in your life because there is so much to offer - if it is symphonies and theatre you life we got it. If it is outdoor activities we have tons - if it is weekend traveling then this is the place. Port Angeles offers some of the best northwest cuisine around and also some very top quality wineries.

Because this area is in what the locals call the Blue Hole we tend to get a lot less rain than the rest of this area. Which means on any given cloudy day the sun can break out. I have lived here now ten years and seen only one huge storm that shut the place down for days. Other than that there will be storms that come through and it seldom snows that it stays on the ground. I hope this helps let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Olympia, WA
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living around Port Angeles.

I lived in P.A. for ten years, now live in Olympia. I guess it all depends on why you are there and what you like to do in your spare time. Like everywhere else, it has its good and bad sides.

I think it's a great place for families, not so great for single.s

I liked living here because my husband and I like outdoor activities. There are hundreds of miles of hiking which you can literally do year round (although not higher elevations in winter because of too much snow). Being on the water also opens up boating and fishing activities as well as kayaking. There are also 2-3 golf courses nearby. There are community events and fairs, etc. throughout the year (contact the Chamber of Commerce for a list) are are lots of fun, again depending on your interests. There is also a movie theater that will get you most first run movies. We used to also visit Port Townsend, which is about 1 hour east (or about 40 minutes from Sequim, where we also lived). It offers nice shops, restaurants and a small intimate movie theater - all for a change of pace.

I agree with the previous poster about the weather. But I will add a little more. While the area does get less rainfall than most people think, there are still a lot of gray days, especially in winter. Also, I was originally from Texas and really noticed the difference in the amount of daylight hours. Very short in the winter and long in the summer. At its worst, if you go to work around 7:30am and leave work around 5pm, you will be doing it in the dark (although it only lasts a month or so like that). On the other hand, you get lots of daylight hours in the summer! Temps in P.A. are also a little cooler because it's right on the water. The closer to the water you are the cooler it will be in summer. Hope this helps!

3. Re: Living around Port Angeles.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 pm, August 19, 2009