We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time for calmest ferry crossing to Victoria

Which Port Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Topic
Time for calmest ferry crossing to Victoria

This would be in early July. Were leaning towards 12:45 p.m. crossing, but wonder if here, as in some areas, morning hours (8:15 a.m. crossing) would likely be calmer (no guarantees, of course).

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
3,741 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Time for calmest ferry crossing to Victoria

No way to guarantee a smooth trip, regardless of the time. Go to www.weather.gov and read the maritime forecasts. Sea state is dependent on tides and wind, and both are changeable. If strong westerly winds are forecast I would be reluctant to take the Coho if I was a white-knuckle sailor.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time for calmest ferry crossing to Victoria

All else being equal, earliest sailing would be calmest.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time for calmest ferry crossing to Victoria

Thanks. I understand there are no guarantees. We'll be committed to that day's sailing, in terms of our schedule so we'll go (unless there's a storm). My wife's a doc, so we'll have some mild drugs along with us.

Tacoma, Washington
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,419 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Time for calmest ferry crossing to Victoria

This ferry crossing from PA to Victoria isnt that long. In july being summer the waters will likely be calmer since storm season is over.

In July if you get any precipitation it isnt storms but low ceiling clods with light rain and drizzle.

the Coho Ferry is a large boat for vehicles, trucks, and Passengars. you would really need some rough seas to feel anything.. when they ran the passengar only ferry you aould feel you were on the boat with the thump thump thump over waves in the water.

ZLI
Galiano Island...
Level Contributor
99 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time for calmest ferry crossing to Victoria

This is a ferry crossing a strait. It is very rare for it to be rough. In mid winter storms, it could bump a bit. The crossing is under 2 hours and land is in sight the entire time. Unless you get sick in a bathtub, there is nothing to worry about. The sailing would be cancelled if it too rough to sail (a rare event)

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time for calmest ferry crossing to Victoria

Thanks. Fortunately, my bathtub isn't big enough to cause seasickness. https:/…

7. Re: Time for calmest ferry crossing to Victoria

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 23, 2015