We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seattle to Port Angeles

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
504 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
Seattle to Port Angeles

I am so excited. We just extended our 10 day trip to 14 days so we can visit the Olympic Peninsula. Here is our plan now. We fly into Seattle and spend the 1st 3 nights at the Wild Iris in LaConner. We plan to visit Whidbey Island one day and also do a 6 hour whale tour from Anacortes through the San Juan Islands one day. From LaConner we drive to Vancouver for 4 nights to enjoy the sights there and also drive the Sea to Sky Highway to Whistler. From Vancouver we drive back to Seattle and stay 3 nights at Chelsea Station. That part was already booked before we decided to extend. And then our added bonus is driving to Port Angeles and staying 3 nights at Colette's B&B. My question for you is what is the best way to get to PA from Chelsea Station which is near the Woodland Park Zoo? Google Maps shows me 2 different ferry routes and a driving route which all take about 2 1/2 hours. We will be driving back to SEA from PA for our return flight to Syracuse. We will have a whole day for that drive because we have an overnight near the airport for an early flight. So also do you have any recommendations for things to do along the way from PA to SEA? Thanks so much!!

Edited: 10:57 am, July 06, 2013
Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,780 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Seattle to Port Angeles

Either way is easy assuming you are catching a morning ferry. I much prefer driving through Edmonds myself since you are not staying DT. If you go in the morning there are three great breakfast options if you go by way of Edmonds. All right on your way and easy to park. Chanterelles in Edmonds, the Oak Table in Kingston and the Port Gamble Country store. All have good food and are fun!

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
504 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Seattle to Port Angeles

Thank you all. We will be staying at a B&B so will be leaving Chelsea Station after breakfast around 9 am for our drive to PA on Friday the 13th!!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Seattle to Port Angeles

I hope that Friday the 13th does not portend long ferry lines, especially if after 9:00 AM, on a Friday, in Edmonds. :)

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
504 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Seattle to Port Angeles

Maybe we should skip the ferries and drive?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Seattle to Port Angeles

Take the ferry. You will still need to drive about 1 hour and 40 minutes once you get off the boat. Summer fridays are crowded no matter what, but I assume you are coming Sept. 13, so it won't be as bad as July or August. The Tacoma Narrows Bridge route would be just as crowded as the ferry route and much less pleasant.

Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,388 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Seattle to Port Angeles

No, that would be a very big detour, half of it over boring freeway. The Seattle/BI ferry runs frequently so one sailing wait is bearable. But based on that congestion table, go for a sailing before nine am!

No visit to this area is complete without seeing the northwest pacific waves rolling in -- say, at Mora, First or Second Beach or Kalaloch. You don't need to go on the same day that you go to the Hoh / rainforest. Another option is to drive to Neah Bay and hike out to Cape Flattery, but you will likely get better views of the waves and sea-stacks closer to Hwy 101.

You might be interested in stopping by some of the Elwha River Restoration sites ... see the electronic brochure at nps.gov/olym/naturescience/upload/Elwha-Rive… ... see #'s 5 and 6 in particular.

Florida
Level Contributor
113 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Seattle to Port Angeles

I will be in Seattle on June 112-13-14 and on the 15 I need to get to Victoria Island. Is it best to leave from Seattle by private transportation or public and then need to get to PORT ANGELES TO GET A FERRY TO Victoria, CAN ANYONE HELP?I will be returning my vehicle at the airport on June 15 by noon at the seatac airport

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,795 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Seattle to Port Angeles

Please do two things. 1) Post your own thread. This is an old thread, and you are confusing everyone who reads it. All you have to do is go towards the bottom of this page and hit the "Ask a question" button. 2) Don't type in caps. It is the equivalent of screaming, and it gives some us a headache just looking at it.

Renton, WA
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Seattle to Port Angeles

Victoria Island is inside the Arctic Circle...did you mean Vancouver Island, where Victoria is located?

NYC
Level Contributor
22 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Seattle to Port Angeles

Hi Angie,

I'm taking my 3 kids to do a very similar trip can you let me know what you ended up doing that you would definitely do again? I would love any advice!

Melanie