We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help - 4 day trip early June

Colorado Springs...
7 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary help - 4 day trip early June

Hi folks,

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to the Olympic Peninsula for early June. We know it will still be rainy and probably snowy in higher elevations, and that is okay by us as we are both former East Coasters now living in parched Colorado and we miss the rain. :)

Our flight gets into Seattle around 1 pm and our plan is to pick up the rental car and immediately head for the wilds. We are definitely interested in hiking, kayaking, possibly biking, and I really want to see some tide pools! We will be spending our last night in Olympia because we are interested in possibly moving there and want to check out the city. That said, we have 3 more nights/days to fill. We were planning on staying in PA for proximity to the aforementioned activities; we are already planning a trip with Adventures Through Kayaking (still deciding whether to do the kayaking/biking combo, or just kayaking) and we are very definitely interested in checking out the Hoh Rainforest, which I know is a bit of a drive. Second Beach sounds amazing, and Salt Creek was also on my list. Hurricane Ridge looks nice, but we have many mountains and alpine/sub-alpine areas in CO and are more interested in beaches and forests, which we are sorely lacking.

What are your recommendations for the best use of our time? We will have 2 full days, a late afternoon/evening, and a full morning to explore before we head on to Olympia. I would rather do several short hikes that offer a lot of bang for the buck than any true day hikes. We are accustomed to rough terrain and altitude, though I'd rather not kill myself because hey, it'll be my birthday! Long drives are okay by us - we like to wake up early and pack it in. Thanks so much in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Olympia
Olympia
Washington
Colorado Springs...
7 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Itinerary help - 4 day trip early June

It looks like Huckleberry is open during our time frame....now just trying to decide if we want to spend one or two nights there. Thanks again - perfect suggestion!

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,684 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Itinerary help - 4 day trip early June

The only issue I see with spending two nights in Forks is if you want to ocean kayak or go cycling, that is going to eatup a good deal of a day West of Port Angeles. If you choose to hike more instead, then I would make the most of the area around Forks. Weather is always a wild card, but if it is not raining, I personally could spend a full day just along the Hoh (actually I plan on spending a full day in early June up the Hoh in a tent). If you are at all into photography, there is a great photo waiting to happen about every 20 feet that time of year in our rainforests.

Mentioned in this post
Forks
Forks
Washington
Colorado Springs...
7 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Itinerary help - 4 day trip early June

I think we will probably limit our stay in Forks to one night. I'm now thinking we'll probably spend our first night in Forks so we can get an early start for the beach and then hike in the Hoh. Go to PA that night, go kayaking the next morning, and do some hiking around PA that afternoon. Stay in PA again. Do whatever we want the next morning and then go to Olympia. Now that I'm typing it out, I wish we had booked a longer trip! :) It will just be a small taste of what the area has to offer and I know we'll want to come back, and soon!

Mentioned in this post
Forks
Forks
Washington
Olympia
Olympia
Washington
14. Re: Itinerary help - 4 day trip early June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, March 09, 2014