We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sol du hot springs

Which Port Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bainbridge Island
Level Contributor
65 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Sol du hot springs

Greetings,

Is it worth a day trip to the hot springs at this time of year? We are 50 years young and looking for something to do in the PA area that doesn't involve a lot of walking.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,104 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sol du hot springs

No, it's not. In fact, I'm not sure they are even open now, and their antiquated website and idiotic reservation system make it impossible to tell. They are not a year round destination, and even when they are open, they are not particularly alluring. The "resort," while clean and well run, consists of a group of very simple huts set around a parking lot. The hot spring waters are piped into swimming pools. There is a restaurant that serves fairly good but overpriced meals. There is no cell phone service, and the place is pretty remote. It takes about 4 hours to get there from Seattle. The principal attraction of Sol Duc Hot Springs Resort is its proximity to several wonderful hiking trails and to Sol Duc Falls. If you are based in Seattle, don't go. The days are short now, and the weather is starting to turn. If you are based in Port Angeles, definitely consider driving out to see beautiful Sol Duc Falls. If you are willing to hike up 1450 feet, visit Deer Lake above the Falls. It's beautiful up there, and the trail won't be accessible much longer, as snow comes early to the Sol Duc Valley.

seattle
Level Contributor
643 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sol du hot springs

We like using the hot spring pools after returning from a hike up one of the trails in the area. The end of the season is the best time for a soak as the crowds are gone.

Check this website for seasonal schedule and rates for the hot spring pools; the last day for this year is Oct 15 according to the schedule:

olympicnationalparks.com/activities/hot-spri…

There are some short walks to interesting sites on the Sol Duc River from pull-outs on the access road to the resort. An easy walk to Sol Duc Falls, a popular one for visitors, starts at the end of that road.

But, if you are mainly interested in doing something in the Port Angeles area on a day trip from Seattle and without much walking involved, I would opt for the drive up to Hurricane Ridge.

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
8,461 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sol du hot springs

I am not a fan of these hot springs. I prefer springs in a natural setting. There are terrific hikes in the area, but if the hot springs are your main reason for going, I would say no it is not worth it for a daytrip.

4. Re: Sol du hot springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, December 14, 2013