We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
car hire

I am looking to travel from Vancouver to Seattle but will need to hire a car on this one way journey. I dont think you can hire a car in Canada and return it in America so I have thought of going by ferry from Victoria to Port Angeles, then pick up a car but not sure if I can leave back to Seattle. Can anyone help please.

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
9,620 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire

why not take the train from Vancouver to Seattle?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
149 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire

I have thought of that but trying to keep costs down because there are 10 of us plus thought we would like to explore a bit and visit a couple of places on way down like port townsend, wouldnt be able to do if on a train

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,401 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire

You certainly can hire a car in Vancouver and drop it in the US; it's done all the time. All the major international rental companies allow it; however you'll need to be thorough in getting prices, as they can vary greatly. Also note that picking up and dropping the car at the respective airports will add significantly to the cost, owing to high airport taxes and surcharges.

Obviously with 10 you're talking about multiple vehicles. In general vehicles like mini-vans are disproportionately expensive compared to passenger cars.

Edited: 5:00 pm, January 11, 2010
Victoria, Canada
Destination Expert
for Victoria, Port Angeles
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire

GEW5,

just checking, you do know that Victoria is on an island (Vancouver Island), right?

Anyway, having ten people should give you some price leverage no matter how you are travelling. Maybe you could even rent your own bus and travel in style. Try these guys: www.wilsonstransportation.com/quote.html . Note, though, there would not be any discount for passengers on the ferries whether walking, biking, busing or whatever.

Maybe also consider renting two eight passenger vans or one ten passenger van. I have driven numerous eight passenger vans -- they are surprisingly comfortable and have good handling.

Or maybe a ten passenger limo with driver, but that might get complicated over more than one day or across the border ☺.

How long will you be in this neck of the woods? There is lots and lots to see in and around Victoria, and on the Olympic Peninsula. So keep asking ...

5. Re: car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, July 11, 2010