We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Angeles to Victoria: reservation on passenger ferry??

Which Port Angeles hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Port Angeles to Victoria: reservation on passenger ferry??

Is it necessary to make a reservation on the passenger ferry from Port Angeles to Victoria? (We won't have a car...it's just the 2 of us.) I've gotten conflicting advice on this.

Does it depend on which day of the week we'll be going?

Is there a long line for passengers?

We'll probably have breakfast at our b&b and then take the ferry over to Victoria for the day.

Thanks for your advice. Our trip to Washington is August/September.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Angeles to Victoria: reservation on passenger ferry??

You should be fine without reservations.

Have fun,

chuck

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Angeles to Victoria: reservation on passenger ferry??

Chuck, thanks for the reassurance that we'll be fine without reservations. We don't want to miss out on Victoria, but if we don't need the reservations it's more spontaneous to avoid making them.

Our day-trip to Victoria from Port Angeles is rather spontaneous...in that we haven't planned what to do once we get to Victoria. We thought it would be fun to try the "wandering around" approach. Do you think this relatively unplanned approach works well for day-trips to Victoria?

Sometimes I have a very detailed itinerary. But other days we like to try wandering and spontaneous discoveries.

I assume that Victoria is very accessible on foot from where the ferry from Port Angeles lets off the passengers? That's one thing I should plan!

I think the famous gardens are north of Victoria and might not fit into a day-trip very well, without a car. We have never been to Canada, so Victoria itself is new to us.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Angeles to Victoria: reservation on passenger ferry??

Spontaneity is often great, and it is in this instance.

You don't need a car, it's a walkable city.

Buchart Gardens? Take a bus, including if you like the double decker. Plan on two hours at least.

Royal Museum is terrific for adults and kids. A remarkable venue.

I assume you will have passports.

Victoria

If Victoria bound, this ferry leaves from Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula.

http://cohoferry.com/main/

For Victoria:

hellobc.com/en-CA/RegionsCities/Victoria.htm…

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,759 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Angeles to Victoria: reservation on passenger ferry??

Voyaging says it well.

Yes the ferry drops you off in the heart of things. Just wander. A Cuban cigar after dinner is pleasant.

Remember in Canada they call it the washroom.

Voyage well,

chuck.

California
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Angeles to Victoria: reservation on passenger ferry??

Chuck, thanks, we're back and we had a great trip! Will post trip report soon. The thought of me with a Cuban cigar or any cigar is hillarious. (Since I don't smoke! (-:) But Merchie's in Victoria has great tea and treats!

Groveland, FL
Level Contributor
113 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Angeles to Victoria: reservation on passenger ferry??

Melissa:

I'm looking forward to your trip report. We're hoping to take the ferry from Pt. Angeles to Victoria early next week. Whatever advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jewel

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Angeles to Victoria: reservation on passenger ferry??

Jewel, did you see the websites I provided, above?

Groveland, FL
Level Contributor
113 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Angeles to Victoria: reservation on passenger ferry??

Voyaging:

Yes, I had looked at the ferry website a couple of months ago. Just checked the Victoria website today. It looks like a fun place to explore. Thanks for the information. We may re-think our original plan of just spending one day there.

GMom

9. Re: Port Angeles to Victoria: reservation on passenger ferry??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, April 13, 2010