We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best restaurant in Franz Josef

Which Franz Josef hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Zealand
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best restaurant in Franz Josef

We happen to be spending my teenage daughter's birthday in Franz Josef this coming January. Can anyone tell us which are the best restaurants in Franz Josef where we can celebrate with a nice, intimate family dinner?

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best restaurant in Franz Josef

We too are looking for somewhere to celebrate a birthday in Franz.

My husband has his just before Christmas.I don't think there is a great choice and certainly nothing very upmarket.I think we'll have to choose between Beeches or Blue Ice cafe-restaurant.Maybe someone out there knows of somewhere else I've missed.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
353 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best restaurant in Franz Josef

Yes it is true that there is not much dining facilities in Franz Josef, we dined in a coffee/restaurant for lunch it wasn't bad, but not the servive you would want for a brithday dinner. We ate in Blue ice for our dinner and i thought this was absolutely beautiful, the food was great and they cater for everyones taste buds. I know that there is another restaurant (fine dining) i can't think of the name of it, but you will see a signpost for an internet cafe on the main street down a road it is just about 200m down there on the left. Hope this helps

Camberley UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best restaurant in Franz Josef

Just wondered if anyone had an more info on a good place to eat in Franz Josef we will be staying for one night on 22nd December any advice would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Annette

Hokitika
Level Contributor
24 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best restaurant in Franz Josef

Hello Everyone

I would say that the most up market fine dinning in Franz josef would be the Mapourika Restaurant at the Glacier Country Retreat. It is located 5 Mins North of Franz Village. You can view the Menu at www.glacier-retreat.co.nz and click on latest news.

Other wise when ever i am down there i like to dine at Beaches, They have great food and service.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best restaurant in Franz Josef

The best restaurant as far as I am concerned, is right on the corner to where you turn to the indoor climbing on the main road. I can not think of the name of it, but has excellent service and comfortable furnishing at a non expensive prices.

Il check it out again next week when im down there pasing through

Camberley UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best restaurant in Franz Josef

Really appreciate your advise thanks so much.

Annette

7. Re: Best restaurant in Franz Josef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, October 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Franz Josef