We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is the weather in Nov end ?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
How is the weather in Nov end ?

We are planning to come to south island for 7 days for honeymoon. I was thinking of adding a stay over night at Hermitage Hotel and do a 1/2 day franz josef glacier tour.

How is the weather in the end of november ? Is it possible that time of the year to have a day full of rains that can ruin our day ? I am feeling uncomfortable with the idea that we have to fix a day for this activity and everything depends on the weather.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,178 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How is the weather in Nov end ?

Hi T :)

Aoraki/Mt Cook and the Hermitage Hotel are on one side of the Southern Alps (a long mountain chain) and Franz Josef glacier is on the other. If staying at the Hermitage you would have to spend two days driving to get to Franz, or fly over.

If at Aoraki I suggest you explore the Tasman glacier. It's NZ's longest glacier (we have over 3000 glaciers) and is unique in the world, being the only glacier with an easily accessible terminal lake - with icebergs!http://www.glacierexplorers.com/

Franz Josef is on the West Coast, one of the wettest spots on the planet, so you can be confident of rain. Generally it rains two days for every one fine day though the locals will tell you it rains just twice a year. For the first six months, and then for the second six months.

The Hermitage and Tasman glacier has a dryish climate, though Mt Cook will often have the top of the mountain shrouded in high cloud, thus her name, Aoraki - cloud piercer. I was there last week, walking at Tasman glacier, and the weather was stunning. Brilliant blue sky and we needed sunblock.

So if staying at the Hermitage you can except fine weather, possibly cloudy. If staying at Franz expect rain.

Hope this helps :)

Mentioned in this post
The Hermitage Hotel
The Hermitage Hotel
2,195 Reviews
Mt. Cook Village, New Zealand
Franz Josef Glacier
Franz Josef Glacier
3,004 Reviews
Franz Josef, New Zealand
Tasman Glacier
Tasman Glacier
52 Reviews
South Island, New Zealand
Franz Josef
Franz Josef
Westland National Park (Te Wahipounamu), New Zealand
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
37,911 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How is the weather in Nov end ?

November is our springtime so is probably one of the least settled months of the year. When I worked in the Mt Cook region I remember very variable weather in November. Since it is a quiet time you can probably "wing it" (ie without bookings). If one side of the Alps looks better than the other from Chch go there. You could perhaps post your whole itinerary for more expert advice.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How is the weather in Nov end ?

Hi WL,

Thanks for your post. I don't know how i got confused between the two.

I have looked at the glacier explorers website but i am not too thrilled to see they only have a boat tour on the terminal lake. I was looking for something along the lines of walking on the ice which i saw on fox and franz josef glacier tours.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

TK

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,178 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How is the weather in Nov end ?

The Tasman glacier is quite a bit different from Fox and Franz which move glacially - that's a joke :) - through rain forest.

The Tasman glacier grinds through rock and the lower, accessible reaches of the glacier are covered in crushed rock. I actually think the Tasman glacier quite ugly unless you fly over the upper reaches were it is white and pretty like Fox and Franz. Frankly, if you took a walk on the Tasman it would be like walking on a coal mine.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lake_Tasman.jpg

Mentioned in this post
Tasman Glacier
Tasman Glacier
52 Reviews
South Island, New Zealand
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
111 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How is the weather in Nov end ?

hmm, we are looking for pretty glaciers :)

Our original plan is to arrive in ChCh and drive to Wanaka next day via Mt Cook (although a long drive but its ok). I am thinking that we will postpone Wanaka onwards trip by one day. For this extra day, if the weather is good when we arrive in ChCh then we make plans to go to Fox glacier next day and spend the night there. Do the tour on day 3 and drive to Wanaka in the evening.

If the weather isn't good then we can just hang out in ChCh or may be do a day trip to Kaikoura.

Mentioned in this post
Wanaka
Wanaka
Otago Region, New Zealand
Fox Glacier
Fox Glacier
Westland National Park (Te Wahipounamu), New Zealand
Kaikoura
Kaikoura
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,178 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How is the weather in Nov end ?

I suggest you stay two nights at Fox and make the drive to Wanaka the following day. The drive Fox to Wanaka is 4.5 hours non-stop though most take up to twice as long, stopping to enjoy the stunning scenery and short walks along the way. Plus the drive can be challenging with it's twisty road and 20 one lane bridges, requiring the driver's full attention. It is not a drive you undertake in the evening after a strenuous day on the ice.

Mentioned in this post
Wanaka
Wanaka
Otago Region, New Zealand
7. Re: How is the weather in Nov end ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 21, 2011