We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franz Josef

Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Franz Josef

Hello,

My trip will be between 20 Dec 2009 to 1 Jan 2010. It is woth to go the Franz Joseph and skip mt Cook at this period? or skip Franz Joseph and go to Mt cookj? any advice is appreciated....

Cheers,

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Franz Josef

You cannot take an infant onto the glacier. There is a minimum age for the different glacier hikes, check the website for details.

There is a 2 hour guided walk to the face of the glacier, it might be possible take an infant if you have a backpack style carrier, though you will need to check with Fox Guides first.

Or anyone can take the self guided walk which doesn't go as far as the guided walk.

At Aoraki/Mt Cook you can take any of the easier trails to enjoy the surrounding beauty.

hope this helps :)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,097 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Franz Josef

I recently did both areas. If I HAD to choose one over the other I'd go Aoraki/Mt Cook. Especially with an infant. .. and I'd scrape every penny I had to do a glacier flight and snow landing from the Aoraki area. It's more expensive from there, but you would get the extra scenery of the lakes etc.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Franz Josef

Hello,

I really appreciate your all suggestions....

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Franz Josef

We are interested in doing the half day glacier walk on Franz Josef... I've heard that morning and evening walks are better... is this right?? Is the 3pm walk good? Or should I do the morning one...

15. Re: Franz Josef

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 24, 2010