We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow in South Island this month??

Which Franz Josef hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Central Coast, NSW
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Snow in South Island this month??

Can anyone give me an update on snow conditions this month? We are set to fly into Christchurch Oct 19 and out of Queenstown Oct 27 and have a lot of driving planned... will we be right through the passes without snow chains and stuff?

I understand it is spring and not usual time for snow but we have had this cold snap here and I heard it will bring snow to the south island??

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow in South Island this month??

yep, we've had snow. Last night I drove over the Crown Range (our highest public road) through a snow storm. Generally the roads aren't affected much at this time of year, though some central North Island roads were closed for two days. You can check road conditions with Transit www.transit.govt.nz/road/highwayinfo.jsp

phone 0800 444 449

when collecting your car ensure it has snow chains and they show you how to use them. Safe travels :)

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow in South Island this month??

Today 09 OCt, Lewis, Porters and Arthur's Passes are all Closed to towing, Chains essential. It is expected to be this way all weekend.

Next week, all will probably be ok how ever, Ice could still be an issue following snow

Sunshine Coast, Qld
Level Contributor
367 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow in South Island this month??

Thanks for asking this question. We will be travelling around in a campervan during the first weeks of November and I am surprised to see snow still falling on the passes. Is this a late spring this year or normal? My son was hoping to see snow....maybe his wish will come true. I'm seriously starting to get concerned about the lack of winter clothes we own though! Might have to beg, borrow and steal from friends afterall. We are having extra hot days already here - well and trully bikini weather! Could be a rude awakening for us Queenslanders.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow in South Island this month??

It is possible to get snow on the passes during the first weeks of November but is very unlikely for that time of the year. Beware however that the temperatures in parts of the south island may not be as high as in Queensland.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,049 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow in South Island this month??

Not only could there be ice after the snow it could also be quite warm and sunny! The weather should settle down by Labour Weekend. (24th)

Central Coast, NSW
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow in South Island this month??

Wow - thanks guys... what a shock to the system... we weren;t expecting snow or the need for snow chains... hmm... we will be travelling over Arthur's Pass, the Haast Pass and Linden Pass... (hopefully !!)

Thanks Wanaka for the details for Transit - I have bookmarked it and will periodically check coming up to our departure. It is all very exciting and a little surprising! I wasn't expecting snow. I suppose we should definintely rug up... I've never seen snow... I am looking forward to our trip - I just hope the weather is fine enough for all our tour plans and flights...

Cheers!

7. Re: Snow in South Island this month??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 07, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Franz Josef