We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fj to christchurch can it be driven in a day and how long

Greater Perth...
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Topic
fj to christchurch can it be driven in a day and how long

can this be done in a day by car and how long does it take, looked in a couple of books times from 6 hours to 10 which is a big difference

we are thinking of taking arthers pass

thanks in advance

stuart

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,891 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fj to christchurch can it be driven in a day and how long

Actual driving time without any stops is 5 hours, however as you are on holiday, then there are likely to be a lot of stops at places like the bushmans center at Pukekura, Hokitika , Arthur's Pass, Castle hill, Springfield etc, then you still need to allow up to an hour from Yaldhurst / Russley corner to find you way to where you are staying in Christchurch.

If your proposed travel is during winter, then keep an eye on the weather forecasts and road warnings for Arthur's and Porters passes.

Time flies when you are having fun

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,636 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fj to christchurch can it be driven in a day and how long

hi Stuart

you can free call Transit for all road conditions 0800 444 449

enjoy your visit :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fj to christchurch can it be driven in a day and how long

I travel this route about 6 times a year. It's a really good road all the way through some of the most beautiful scenery around. It's a bit over 3 hours to Hokitika and a bit under 2 hours to Franz. This is asuming that you get a clear run (99% of the time) and you stay within the speed limit (there are ALWAYS traffic cops) Arthurs Pass is truly spectacular. I guess if you have spent time in other Alps you might find it "ordinary" but even though I've been through there lots of times there is always something new to see.

I suggest a 1/2 walk @ Castle Rock station, and a bit of time in Arthurs Pass Village. There are another couple of walks. Hokitika is one of the nicest small towns around so I would have another break there.

If you are sharing the driving, you could leave Christchurch in the morning, say 8am (the mountasin bits should have the frost gone by the time you get there, and get to Franz early evening. However I would be inclined to think about speading it over 2 days, which would allow you to headnorth a bit over an hour each way from Kumara Junction to the pancake rocks at Punakiki

4. Re: fj to christchurch can it be driven in a day and how long

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, December 07, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Franz Josef