We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July Glacier Visit crazy? Fox or Franz

Long Island
Level Contributor
43 posts
246 reviews
Save Topic
July Glacier Visit crazy? Fox or Franz

We will be coming from Queenstown and not sure if we should visit Fox or Franz in July. Does doing a 1/2 day trip in the middle of the winter sound like a dumb idea? I am not even sure if it is available then. Comments?

Regards, Tab

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July Glacier Visit crazy? Fox or Franz

Glacier guiding goes all year round.

all activities are weather dependent, which means even in the summer there are days that they cannot opertae.

they will provide you with all the necessary equipment.

You wont have a long wait due to large crowds

Long Island
Level Contributor
43 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July Glacier Visit crazy? Fox or Franz

Thanks for the response. I have no reason but a feeling we would like the Fox Glacier over the Franz. Does this make sense if we had to pick one?

Regards

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,012 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: July Glacier Visit crazy? Fox or Franz

There is one possible problem. Twice when I have visited the South Island in July, a blizzard has blown up and blocked many of the roads.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July Glacier Visit crazy? Fox or Franz

either Glacier is great. personally I think it's like asking if red or blue is better! I'd visit both if I had time, otherwise go with the easiest to arrange. I would go regardless of the weather, but I would not go past the barriers without a guide.

Long Island
Level Contributor
43 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July Glacier Visit crazy? Fox or Franz

Going with the best timed 1/2 day trip seems to be the best option. I was told there is lake or river kayaking in the area which I would like to do as well so we may be here 2 days. Enough to hike one and drive to the other.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,769 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July Glacier Visit crazy? Fox or Franz

I've just had 2 days at Fox & franz. There is a bunch of stuff to do, including Kyacking on the lakes or the Okarito Lagoon. The motel I stayed in had brochures on everything from Helicopter rides to the glaciers, indoor ice rock climbing and quad bike trips. Shuttles run to the glacier.

There was even a large group of young Europeans in the pub watching some game with a round ball. Personally on a crystal clear day in franz Joseph I'd have thought of otherways to spend my holiday$, but each to their own!

Long Island
Level Contributor
43 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July Glacier Visit crazy? Fox or Franz

Thanks for the reply. We are heading in the middle of July and it will be cold for sure. One Kayaking company is closed until the end of July and we are scrambling to find another. I thought 2 nights would be good here considering we are getting in early afternoon from Christchurch.

8. Re: July Glacier Visit crazy? Fox or Franz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:24 am, November 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Franz Josef