We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Franz Josef - to do or not to do - that is the question ??

UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Franz Josef - to do or not to do - that is the question ??

Hi,

We are doing the South Island tour and are debating what we can do at Frans Josef with a disabled person in our group that would not be able to walk on ice. Would we be able to get clos enough to see the glacier or do you need to be able bodied ?

Also there does not seem much for us to do here - can anyone help us with including/excluding this from the itinerary. If we still do the route but not the glacier where is the next best place to stay around the area for resonable motels/eating/scenery ?

Thanks

England, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Franz Josef - to do or not to do - that is the question ??

Franz Josef village is small but has a supermarket, petrol station, gift shops, and eating places. The whole place is designed for short-term stays to visit the glacier(s). The pavements are fairly good and the road through the town is quiet (well it was in October) and it is easy to cross. I am not a walker but if you go to Franz Josef Glacier and park the car, there is a fairly level, paved walk through to the a viewpoint over the glacier. Do not attempt to do the the Summit Rock viewpoint - it is very steep. No-one walks on the ice without a guide, it is moving reasonably fast, so chasm and caves can open out at any time.

We stayed in Glowworm cottages which is a sort of backpacker place, but there was a lot of nice looking accommodation around. I do not know whether Fox has better access for your particular needs - others may be able to advise. I would not miss out on doing one or the other.

England, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Franz Josef - to do or not to do - that is the question ??

I meant to say that I can recommend Glowworm Cottages where we had a mini motel unit with a double en-suite, kitchenette, and the car right outside, but if you are wanting somewhere in a higher budghet it is available.

UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Franz Josef - to do or not to do - that is the question ??

Thanks Ringmer -that is helpful - sounds like we can at least get to the view point which is really what we want - we are not walkers either and certainly wouldn't bewalkingthe glacier - we just want to see it - I mean this is proably the only opportunity in our lives to see one !!

Thanks for the hotel info - we don't want luxury for one night and so I will look this one up.

Thanks again.

Italy
Level Contributor
829 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Franz Josef - to do or not to do - that is the question ??

never say never....I hope you have a chance to see other glacier like Perito Moreno in your next trip around the world

Singapore
Level Contributor
236 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Franz Josef - to do or not to do - that is the question ??

With a disabled person, I'm assuming mobility constraints, it would not be possible to do the Glacier Walk for sure. There will be a guide, and there are different difficulty levels.

But I'd say it's still worth going. The walk takes about 4 hours. If it's a group, you may consider splitting up, the abled ppl can still do the shortest hike. The disabled person with a companion can also explore the town. I must say it's a small town though. But yes, you can see the glacier, tho the feeling is different from walking on the glacier.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,882 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Franz Josef - to do or not to do - that is the question ??

I was at the Franz Joseph Glacier last week. The road into the car park is in excellent condition, the 'wheel chair walk' is also in good condition.. That is as far as anyone can go as the river has taken out the river bed where on could walk. So it matters little if you are wheel chair bound or not, that is as far as you can go.

Fox Glacier road is washed out completely and even the Fox Glacier Guiding company have had to hire in Unimog to access the road to the car park.

as for disability, some people have a lot of arm strength, could be worth poping into the indoor glacier climb at Franz Joseph(artificial ice climbing wall) and either attempt it or view through the viewing windows as other clib the ice

7. Re: Franz Josef - to do or not to do - that is the question ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, September 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Franz Josef