We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hukawai Glacier Centre

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Hukawai Glacier Centre

Opening March 1st 2007 at Franz Josef this complex will give you an entire glacier experience without setting foot on the real thing- great for those people who are short on time and/or the weather doesn't preform when they arrive.

6 different ice walls to climb with 6 different degrees of difficulty, cafe to watch the climbers, virtual ice cave, crevasse and ice staircase just like on the glacier. Walk through area learning local Maori history, passing through the rain forest before arriving at the glacier face. They have had a camera on the real face for a year taking 2 shots a day, this appears on a huge screen showing how the glacier is moving forward and backwards, ice dropping off and how much it does change over a short period of time.

www.scoop.co.nz/stories/CU0702/S00242.htm

http://www.hukawai.co.nz/

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
199 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hukawai Glacier Centre

Hi Zappers!

Thanks so much for this information. I'm sure it'll be hopeful to many TAers.

I sure wish such a facility had been available for us, as the weather while we were in Fox Glacier was quite awful for sightseeing...torrential downpours - however, it proved to provide a very romantic environment, if you know what I mean:o)

Mike & I will be sure to check the complex out on our next journey over to your "land of wonders".

Thanks again!

PITAPITA

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hukawai Glacier Centre

Hi Zappers We had absolutely brilliant weather when at Franz but I really want to see this centre.It will be on my "to do" list for when we return.

Val

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hukawai Glacier Centre

Hi Zappers,

This sounds ideal for us (Mum and Son 10), we are going in 5 weeks time and I was considering the heli-hike. However, I don't like helicopters (great start!) and David is not too keen on experiencing another flight after the long flights to NZ!

This way we will get the whole ice experience but in a way he will enjoy more (I hope).

We are booked to stay at Fox Glacier, its not too far from there is it?

Michelle

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hukawai Glacier Centre

Maybe this will stop the "idiots" from ignoring the warning signs- they were on TV again tonight, dear I say it, overseas tourists filmed getting photographed beside the warning sign then completely ignoring it and walking up to the face of the glacier, even climbing up some ice chunks that have recently dropped off. When the reporter asked them why they ignored the signs they said it didn't look too dangerous even though they said they could hear the ice cracking and groaning! Cotton wool between the ears, I can tell you! If this keeps up the authorities will eventually close off the glacier to all access, this would be such a shame.

Shell it's 25kms/30 minutes drive, you'll have to report back on how you found it, you may be one of the first TAers to experience it!

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,325 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hukawai Glacier Centre

tvnz.co.nz/view/…news_index_group

Check out the video of them on here, click on the news tab and then it's the 4th one down under the video listing.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hukawai Glacier Centre

It's decided, this is what we will do instead! Definately will be doing a report on the whole trip (hope you all won't find it too boring!).

Countdown has commenced!

Michelle

Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hukawai Glacier Centre

I think this Glacier Centre is a total rip off, it's ok if you were to only pay a few euros in but it's expensive for what you get.

They should drop the price as there is no high maintenance in the centre as it is just like a museum. There is a climbing wall but it is again, too expensive for what it is.

Total waste of money and total waste of time.

8. Re: Hukawai Glacier Centre

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:36 am, October 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Franz Josef