We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
416 posts
29 reviews
Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier.

Dear Members.

Need advise on which glacier excursions to select in Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier....

we are family of 3 ( 2 adult and 1 kid (Age 12)....we are not really in to Hiking or Adventure...Want to have moderate difficulty.

we would be in Fox and Franz Josef during 1st week of Nov. 2013..

I am planning to take Ice Explorer at Franz Josef Glacier and Half Day Glacier Tour at Fox.

Please advise.

Thankx/Chirag

Pune, India
Level Contributor
416 posts
29 reviews
1. Re: Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier.

Also advise if both Glaciers are so different that it is must to do both.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
39,658 posts
443 reviews
2. Re: Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier.

Sorry, I'm confused - you are, or are NOT into hiking? You need a reaosnable amount of hiking skill to do a glacier hike. To access Fox you must climb lots of steps, whereas for FJG you need a helicopter to access the glacier.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
416 posts
29 reviews
3. Re: Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier.

Hi what I ment by not in hiking is we don't regularly hike. Looking for a moderate hike. So planning for fox half a day glacier trip

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,510 posts
296 reviews
4. Re: Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier.

<I am planning to take Ice Explorer at Franz Josef Glacier and Half Day Glacier Tour at Fox.>

I'm confused too. It sounds as if you're already decided???

Pune, India
Level Contributor
416 posts
29 reviews
5. Re: Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier.

If I hv decided I would not be looking at options. ..we r in stage of planning and I hv mentioned my preferences.

California
Level Contributor
10,948 posts
73 reviews
6. Re: Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier.

In my opinion, you would not benefit from taking both tours, as the two glaciers will have similar features. You might have noticed in your research that at Franz Josef, you take a short helicopter flight to get on the glacier, where at Fox, you walk right on to it. If budget is your concern, then go with Fox to avoid the cost of helicopter.

Take the time in the morning to walk around Lake Matheson, about 5 minutes by car from Fox township. From the platforms built around the lake, there are magnificent mirror views of Mounts Cook and Tasman on a clear day.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
416 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier.

Hi deSchenke,

Thanks for the details. Really helpful.

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
900 posts
28 reviews
8. Re: Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier.

Hi,

as it was said, there is no access to Franz Josef without the helicopter which renders the tour extremely expensive. Both glaciers are similar so there is not really much use of doing both. Half-day tour of Fox will show you something of the glacier but you'll miss the best part which are the crevasses and ice caves. I did the full tour of Fox and it was absolutely worth the money. Although it was nothing difficult, some hiking skills are required. Hope it helps.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
416 posts
29 reviews
9. Re: Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier.

Hi Johny_r, deSchenke and All,

Thanks i m quit clear in my thoughts now. we will do "Nimble Fox: All Day Walk " will take 9.10 departure.

Cost is 165$ (little over budget) but can manage.

Trip duration is said to be 6/7 hrs. so we should be free by 3 or 4 pm.

Thanks your replies helps in making the final decision.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
2,266 posts
27 reviews
10. Re: Fox Glacier and Franz Josef Glacier.

The Nimble Fox is an incredible tour. $165NZ isn't an amount of money to sneeze at by any means, but it's an incredible value at that price considering how long you're out there and how unreal the scenery is. Plus the fact you don't have to provide your own boots, raincoat, crampons, waterproof pants, nor wool socks. And both the guides I went with (Brian from Montana and Scott from NZ) were very knowledgeable and fun to talk to. If Scott is still working there next time I make it out I'm going to have to book an ice climbing tour with him.