We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving between Queenstown and Fox Glacier

Washington DC...
1 post
Save Topic
Driving between Queenstown and Fox Glacier

Hello--We are planning to drive between Queenstown and Fox Glacier next January. Can you make a recommendation for how much time to allow for this drive? I read in some previous posts that it's not recommended to drive after dark, and that in Jan/Feb it can be light up until 9:00 PM. If we left Queenstown around 8:00 AM, is it feasible that we could get to Fox Glacier in the same day? We would like to allow time to stop and see many of the walks/sights along the road. Or would you recommend we only try to go halfway in one day? If so, where is the best stopping point? (We will not have camping supplies with us.)

Also, we had to make some difficult choices and we are choosing not to go to Mt. Cook/Mt. Cook Village because it's somewhat out of the way and we have limited time. We are choosing the coastal drive up to Fox Glacier instead. My question is if we are really missing out by not going to Mt. Cook. Adding another day is not an option for us because we are already planning a variety of other activities around the rest of the South Island. I know that all of the choices are good options, and it's just a matter of picking one great choice from a list of equally great choices, but...I just wanted to make sure we are choosing the right thing. Thank you so much for your advice.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving between Queenstown and Fox Glacier

You will have ample time to drive from Queenstown to Fox Glacier in one day with ample time to do short walks and take in the scenery that surrounds you.

Be cautious of the high number of single lane bridges and familiarise yourself with the signage which indicates to you if you have the right of way or if you must give way to opposing traffic. also rememer to keep to the left hand side of the road, particularily on bends

Missing out MtCook should not cause to much change to your sight seeing activities

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,966 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving between Queenstown and Fox Glacier

AA guidelines for safe driving is 4:28 hr so with plenty of times for walks, meals, photo opportunities; salmon farm etc you could allow 6-8 hours & have a very enjoyable day.

3. Re: Driving between Queenstown and Fox Glacier

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:31 am, May 02, 2013