We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westland National Park in October?

Which Fox Glacier hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Westland National Park in October?

Hi, I'd like to see the glaciers at Westland, but heard that the weather is very rainy in October. Is it worthwhile to go this time of year? I was also thinking about going to Aoraki/Mt. Cook instead - would weather be clearer there in October?

Thanks very much!

-jwm

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westland National Park in October?

Welcome to the forum jwm :)

The bad news - the West Coast has a high annual rainfall - its one of the world's wettest places - which is why the rainforest is so abundant. And Oct is spring so you can expect spring rains in the entire Southern Hemisphere.

the good news - the glaciers are still stunning in the rain and the waterfalls are even more gorgeous. The average Hokitika rain days in Oct is only 17 niwa.co.nz/education-and-training/…wetdays so that leaves you with 14 dry days :)

After leaving the West Coast you can then drive to Wanaka which is not only stunning but has the country's lowest rainfall so you can dry out!

And yes, I love Aoraki/Mt Cook's spectacular scenery in fine weather. Will it be fine in Oct? We'll just have to wait and see.

Hope this helps, happy travels :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,181 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westland National Park in October?

Franz joseph and Aroraki are oposite sides of the same mountain range and offer different but spectacular views. On the bestern side it could be beautiful and sunny or warm and bucketing down! Perhaps both the same day. While the "coast" does have high rainfall, it's over a smallish number of days. WL is quite right, the drive over the haast and a stop in Wanaka offers a great "combo".

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westland National Park in October?

October at time can have very little rain, yet for the onths of september ww may have enjoyed 28 days straight of ran. as said before, the weather can be fickle. often the weather oscillates. sept wet, oct fine, nov wet, dec fine and evebn jabuary can still be wet at times with excellent weatehr in feb.

dont count on it, but take youc chances. the weather really only affects the helicoptors from flight seeing and the heli hike tours. at fox, it may even be more forgiving as far as weatehr goes, however they have had their times with access roads washed out when it does rain.

have fun, make it happen

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Westland National Park in October?

Got it, thanks for all the advice!

I'll try to fit the glaciers in this trip then, or worst case on my next trip. Will let you know how it goes!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westland National Park in October?

It was drizzling rain when I went to Fox Glacier a few years back...but that didn't stop me from walking in...what an experience ...glad I did it.

6. Re: Westland National Park in October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, May 31, 2012