We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fox Glacier or Franz Josef Glacier?

Hong Kong
6 posts
Save Topic
Fox Glacier or Franz Josef Glacier?

Hi all,

I am from Hong Kong and I will be visiting NZ in April and I would really like to visit the glacier (Half day walk tour). Unfortunately, my plan is pretty tight and I can only choose to visit either the Fox Glacier or Franz Josef Glacier.

Here is my question...if I must choose one, I should choose Fox or Franz Josef?

If I have time, I would like to join the Scenic Heli flight also, again, Fox or Franz Josef is better?

Thanks for answering!

Calvin

redcar england
Level Contributor
5 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fox Glacier or Franz Josef Glacier?

Hi Calvin. Myself, husband and two friends have just returned from New Zealand. This was the 3rd visit for me and my husband. We chose Fox glacier for the accommodation - fox glacier mountain view b/b. It is a 5 minute drive from the town on the Lake Matheson road - a must see on a good day - Mt Cook is reflected in the lake. We stayed in Franz Joseph last visit but were unhappy with the accommodation. We booked a trip to visit both glaciers - well Karen at the b/b.sorted it out for us. It was a 45 min. trip but because of fog over Franz Joseph we only visited Fox glacier but we did not pay until our return. Check out my post on Fox glacier mountainview B/B. Not one bad report. There is a walk to Fox glacier and up the side onto the ice. If you get the chance don't miss the helicopter flight. Any more info you require please get in touch

Hong Kong
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fox Glacier or Franz Josef Glacier?

Thanks!!! I think I will choose to daty in Fox Glacier then :)

uk
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Fox Glacier or Franz Josef Glacier?

Hi,

How much are the heli flights?

Thank you

Hong Kong
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fox Glacier or Franz Josef Glacier?

Depends on what you chose....you can get some ideas from teh belwo link

http://www.scenic-flights.co.nz/

Not sure if I can post this link here...if not...admin please delete it...

5. Re: Fox Glacier or Franz Josef Glacier?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 21, 2009