We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to walk on Glacier but have 5 year old in tow

Which Fox Glacier hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Townsville...
Level Contributor
394 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Want to walk on Glacier but have 5 year old in tow

Hi

I have found we cannot do the heli hike with her age of 5, and the flight up with the other you do not get to walk on the glacier!!

Arghh what can i do to experience the beauty of a glacier??

Cheers

Ang

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,018 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Want to walk on Glacier but have 5 year old in tow

Follow the rules unlike two of your compatriots who didnt yesterday are are now dead buried under tons of ice. The authorities recovered one body and its too danderous to try and recover the second.

I would think twice about taking young children on such an adventure sorry !!!!

Take the flight and go for a walk when the child is older.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Want to walk on Glacier but have 5 year old in tow

A helicopter flight over the glaciers is simply stunning. You won't be disappointed :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
56 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Want to walk on Glacier but have 5 year old in tow

My wife and I have just passed through Franz Josef and Fox with our 2 kids - aged 6 and 8. We were very keen to hike on the glaciers but all advice was that is wasn't suitable for young kids. We decided to break the bank and went for a 40 minute helicopter tour of the glaciers and Mount Cook. It also included a 10 minute landing so we had a brief moment in the snow. The whole experience was incredible. Very expensive but worth it.

Good luck.

Australia
Level Contributor
365 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Want to walk on Glacier but have 5 year old in tow

What about a child minding service? Surely there msut be some around that area?

NSW, Australia
Level Contributor
599 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Want to walk on Glacier but have 5 year old in tow

For heavens sake ... enjoy doing what you CAN do with your child this trip! Believe me, the time will come very quickly where she will be all grown up. Then you'll have plenty of time to choose to do adult only activities! We once left a 2 year old behind in Australia when we went to Disneyland .... at 16 he still reminds us (even tho he's now been to Both Disneyland AND Disneyworld!)

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Want to walk on Glacier but have 5 year old in tow

A few years ago, I was a parent help on a school trip where we had taken them onto the franz joseph jlacier. The children were about 10 years old. the children were well behaved and did everything as told.but that didnt stop some frombeing very scared and they returned off the ice early witha guide.

the issues are that it can be very slippery, very large vertical holes and crevises, crevises to cross on make shift bridges not to mention the rather cool temperatures in which you must endure.

maybe consider asking at your accomodation if there is anywhere that your child can be taken care of whilst you are climbing the glacier, or maybe just dothewalk to the terminal face with out crossing any barriers.

i hope that helps

Surrey, UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Want to walk on Glacier but have 5 year old in tow

Finding this thread really interesting. We are planning a trip to NZ in March 09 and were planning to take a glacier hike if possible. Our kids are 10 and 11 very fit and adventurous but these postings are making me think again. On the other hand we are very unlikely to get an opportunity to go again.

Understand all the concerns and they have given me food for thought. We are real "rules" people and as a nurse and firefighter wouldn't want to take any risks but if we do decide to give it a go can anyone make specific recommendations for guides and other safety measures?

Many thanks

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Want to walk on Glacier but have 5 year old in tow

No worries, your children will be fine. Fox Guides allow children aged 7+ on the half day hike and 9+ on the heli-hike.

All guiding companies take full care of all their clients as client safety is their paramount concern. They don't go in marginal weather, nor do they venture on unsafe ice.

It's an amazing experience, one your kids will treasure for years :)

Chennai India
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Want to walk on Glacier but have 5 year old in tow

I have a similar situation...I have 3 kids 8, 10 and 13 and our family will be traveling the the glacier in about a month. Our travel agent mentioned the heli hike...is this feasible with our kids. The last thing I want to is put our kids in danger. But I would like them to be able to experience a bit of being on a glacier. What are your thoughts? And how warm do you have to dress for being on the glacier? We are on assignment in India and do not have many warm winter things with us:)

Cheers!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Want to walk on Glacier but have 5 year old in tow

Hi TW,

as mentioned above, children need to be aged 9 plus to do the heli-hike. However your entire family, including your 8 year old, will be able to do the half-day hike.

Fox Guides list the clothing requirements on their website.

Hope this helps :)