We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fox Glacier Hike and place to stay..... suggestions

Which Fox Glacier hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hermosa Beach CA
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fox Glacier Hike and place to stay..... suggestions

Hello,

Do you have to rserve hiking in advance or can do the night before?

My girlfriend and I are going to be in Fox Glacier and have heard good things. Hotels recommended are te Weheka Inn and Fox Glacier Lodge. There is a price difference and was curious if was worth paying up.

Also we will be there Aug 27 and want to do a glacier hike. I want to do the glacier Ice Hike through Fox Glacier Guiding but it is all day and pretty physical. My girlfriend doesn't want to do a whole day. I thought the helicopper would be fun but not too much adventour.

Does anyone know if I can rent a guide to ice hike for a few hours and than we do the heli hike?

Thanks

Lots of different info out there.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
252 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fox Glacier Hike and place to stay..... suggestions

Hi, Fox Glacier Guides are the only company authorised to take folks up onto the Glacier. I've done 3 of their trips and they are excellent. However the full day one is pretty hard core and only for really serious glacier folks. The half day 'Fox Trot' is the most popular and does require a reasonable level of fitness, but you get lots of time with the excellent guides and learn a lot about the area. If you have the budget then you can't go wrong with the Helihike, a totally different experience and highly recommended. Less exertion required since the Helicopter does all the hard work. However it is very weather dependent so can be cancelled at short notice. It is not very busy in August but it would pay to make contact with Fox Guides a few days out to see what trips are actually operating.

I've stayed at Te Weheka Inn numerous times and love it, a really nice B&B. I don't know anything about Fox Glacier Lodge but suspect it is a simple backpackers type hostel.

2. Re: Fox Glacier Hike and place to stay..... suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, October 07, 2009