We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

TranzAlpine train to Greymouth vs car hire

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
TranzAlpine train to Greymouth vs car hire

Hi again

Hubby and I are now debating whether we should take a train from Christchurch to Greymouth and then hire a car at Greymouth for our trip to the glaciers and then return via train as well.

Whats the road from Christchurch to Greymouth like?

Last year we drove from Te Anu to Milford and I hated it. Im a city driver and I hated the one lane road, no places to pull over to let others pass and felt really stressed by speeding drivers even though I was doing the speed limit they kept pushing me to drive faster. I dont want a repeat of this for Christchurch to Greymouth

Many thanks

5 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: TranzAlpine train to Greymouth vs car hire

Oh, the other alternative is flying from Christchuch to Hokitika and then renting a car from Hokitika.

Any thoughts or preferances??

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,820 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: TranzAlpine train to Greymouth vs car hire

The trans alpine train from chch to greymouth is a great trip and awesome scenery. Especially in the snow. Given your experience with NZ roads I would suggest the train as you will enjoy it so much more.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,886 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: TranzAlpine train to Greymouth vs car hire

you could also travel by bus or coach, the price is considerably less than either flying or train. the road takes in some majestic scenery, but does not suffer from the same congestion you referred to on the milford sound Rd. What time of the year are you considering to travel?

what time of the day does your plane arrive into christchurch? there is a coach which leave chch airport about 3 pm, you could travel to greymouth, sta the night then rent the car and travel to glaciers at your leisure including shopping in Hokitika

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,107 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: TranzAlpine train to Greymouth vs car hire

In my opinion the most spectacular bit of Arthurs Pass is fro AP village to Otira. By rail this is in a tunnel. The view is not great LOl.

If you are a reasonably attentive driver, there are no safety issues. (Carry chains July/August but it is unlikely you will need them) If you don't fancy the drive, take a bus. Before overcoming a phobia about small planes I drove this road most months. I never had an issue.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
484 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: TranzAlpine train to Greymouth vs car hire

Many thanks for your responses. We decided to go with the train to save us (me) the stress and hiring a car from Greymouth plus hubby is really looking forward to the train trip.

Reply to: TranzAlpine train to Greymouth vs car hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Westland National Park...
More Westland National Park (Te Wahipounamu) Topics