We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety of Montanita

Oss, The Netherlands
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
safety of Montanita

He guys,

Iam planning a 4 week trip to Montanita to learn some Spanish. I read a lot of good reviews but unfortunately also some negative reviews. Is it safe for a western europe boy like me??

thanks a lot for your responses

Pim van Lieshout

Mentioned in this post
Montanita
Montanita
Santa Elena Province, Ecuador
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
10,896 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety of Montanita

A LOT of good reviews--doesn't that speak for itself? Re-read the negative reviews and see just what the complaints were. Some people are unhappy wherever they go. If they are crime-related, well, that can happen anywhere.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: safety of Montanita

Montañita is the funky land of the backpackers.

You will love it.

The town had improve therlir basic services in.the last year and a half. I always go there and never really had a problem.

The only thing is the "drugs abuse" which happens in between some of the travellers. As long as you behave good, nothing bad can happen to you. Food is a bit overpriced because of the big amount of tourists.

There are surfing, diving and biking options for you.

Anyway Montañita is great!

Saludos cordiales desde Atacama,

Dennis Yepez

Quito, Ecuador
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: safety of Montanita

You are going to have so much fun in Montañita you won't to leave, I promise you. With the combination of beach, surf and awesome night-life you will have a great Spanish learning experience without a doubt. As is the case wherever you travel, don't walk around with a lot of money and if you go to the beach alone don't take any valuables. But, other than that you should be fine!

Enjoy!

Utila, Honduras
Destination Expert
for Utila
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safety of Montanita

you will have a great time, relax

france
Level Contributor
7 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety of Montanita

Watch out for rip tides! I am a really strong swimmer and could have drowned. If you get into one as I did swim to the side, don't try to swim to shore as it's like being on a treadmill. People do drown there.

Otherwise a safe place.

Guayaquil
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety of Montanita

Montañita is safe enough. I was there a few times in Feb and March. Admittedly that was at weekends during the beach season which is now coming to a close (it is cloudier from late April until December) It was full to bursting at weekends. It´s a great party place but not a serene chilled out hippy village any more. I hope that helps you decide if it´s your scene.

New York
Level Contributor
905 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safety of Montanita

It is safe. Granted, my friend had his video camera stolen from our hostel, but outside of that, its nice. Great beaches, pretty laid back...its very hippie type I guess if that is a way to describe it.

You should have a great time if you are into a laid back scene.

Red Deer, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safety of Montanita

Unless you really want to surf as well as learning spanish, I'd recommend Banos in the mountains. It's more action-adventure oriented, safe. There are a few spanish schools here.

But if it's the beach culture you want, the montanita definitely wins out. It's safe, but like anywhere else, if you're looking for trouble, you'll find it.

Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safety of Montanita

Totally agree with Len...

Saludos cordiales,

Dennis Yepez

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safety of Montanita

We are 4 women (3 generations) in Montañita right now and feel very safe. We love the vibe of this town. We chose a hotel toward the north end of the beach (Hostal Kundalini) to have an ocean view room with quiet in the evening. The last light on the beach is at our hotel, and as long as we're in a group, we feel fine walking back there at night.