We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Monte vs. Casa Divina

Which Mindo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ago
Branford, CT
Level Contributor
194 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
El Monte vs. Casa Divina

We are trying to decide between these two lodges.

Both sound great in their own way.

Any recommendations?

Sgo

Kitchener, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: El Monte vs. Casa Divina

Hello,

We are also considering the two lodges and are hoping that someone can provide some insight on this topic?

We are travelling in May of 2009.

Of particular concern for me was the mention of really bad biting bugs (despite the use of bug spray) at El Monte. Is this really the case?

Are both the lodges located in the same area or is El Monte deep in the forest while Casa Divina is closer to town?

Any advice would be really appreciated!

California
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: El Monte vs. Casa Divina

Hi,

I have been to both El Monte (summer 2006) and Casa Divina (Dec. 2009), and by the way I am Ecuadorian but grew up in CT. I do not recommend El Monte. It is not worth the price! It is very secluded which could be nice, but it is too secluded and the cabins are not that nice. I think there is more hype and good marketing that anything else.

Casa Divina is great. The couple that run it is knowledgeable and have a deep commitment to ecotourism and the health of the forest in Mindo. Efrain, one of the owners, was a one of the pioneers of bringing environmental awareness and conservation to Mindo. He will personally attend your hiking, birdwatching, zip lining (a must, the best Mindo has to offer) trips. The cabins are very nice, spacious and deep in the forest. You are no where near the town, but could easliy take a taxi to downtown (10 min. ride). If you have children I highly recommend Casa Divina since they are gearing their lodge to families with children. Every day there is a set menu with good, healthy food. We loved our time there.

Kitchener, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: El Monte vs. Casa Divina

Thank you for your advice! Did you find that Casa Divina ended up costing as much as El Monte after your activites and lunches? And btw, did you notice any biting insects at Casa Divina?

Thanks!

NC
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Monte vs. Casa Divina

We are trying to book our stay at Casa Divina for July but cannot get through to their email or via the website forms. As someone who has visited, do you have any other ideas for how to get a hold of them?

Also, we are considering Urcu Puyujunda (http://www.cloudforestecuador.com/) but cannot find any reviews or photos of the rooms.

One last question, we are trying to decide whether to stay in the cloud forest for 2 or 3 nights... what do you think?

Any advice anyone could offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: El Monte vs. Casa Divina

We stayed at Casa Divina in August of '08 and LOVED it. Amazing place, and very cool to be able to walk around the property & surrounding area. We liked being out of town, but easy (and cheap enough) to be able to get into town. Not that there's that much there, but internet and lunch was great out there.

The bugs were horrid, but only when we went up the hills to do the zipline. And my husband did not get any bites, he wore long pants, linen so they were breathable.

NC
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Monte vs. Casa Divina

We stayed at Casa Divina in July and LOVED IT! Best place we have ever stayed between the beautiful accommodations and land to the great food to the amazing hospitality of the owners. Mindo is paradise and Casa Divina is the only place we could ever imagine staying when we return.

P.S. 24/7 electricity and warm water does not hurt either... El Monte does NOT have that.

7. Re: El Monte vs. Casa Divina

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 22, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Mindo