We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buncha snorkeling questions for February 2014 Maui

santa fe, new mexico
Level Contributor
72 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Buncha snorkeling questions for February 2014 Maui

Aloha! We are going to Maui the last week in February (huzzah!) mainly to snorkel. I have been to Maui three times in the past and was dazzled by the snorkeling at Fishbowl/Aquarium (I have always assumed these were one and the same?) and La Perouse Bay. Then one year, poof! Fishbowl was closed. I have not been back to Maui in three years, so was wondering if they have FOR SURE reopened Fishbowl/Aquarium and, if it was ever closed also, La Perouse Bay? We will try to stay in Kehei if they are all opened, elsewhere if closed, so important to know for certain! Also: if they are closed, can anyone share some other snorkeling spots that are as un-mobbed and fish-filled as these perhaps? Mahalo mucho!

9 replies to this topic
Maui
Level Contributor
1,475 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buncha snorkeling questions for February 2014 Maui

They remain closed for now. The best snorkeling sites will vary depending on the prevailing weather conditions at the time.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buncha snorkeling questions for February 2014 Maui

Have you tried five grave caves, or either end of big beach early in the day, or in calm seas, or olowalu beach around fourteen km.Some great snorkeling if somewhat experienced. So many great spots really. Not sure about february though.Other posters could help with that. Also look top right for best snorkeling spots on maui. Aloha.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,217 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buncha snorkeling questions for February 2014 Maui

Here is the link from the top questions about the area. There is a link in the post to click on.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k683861…

Edited: 5:19 am, January 11, 2014
Oceanside...
Level Contributor
353 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buncha snorkeling questions for February 2014 Maui

My favorite is Ahihi Bay preserve. It is just north of a La Perouse. Here is a link to site about it and other spots on Maui and world wide. shorediving.com/Earth/…index.htm

aloha gmc.

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,953 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buncha snorkeling questions for February 2014 Maui

La Perouse Bay is not closed, but the part of the reserve that borders La Perouse Bay (including a modest amount of the western side of the bay) is closed. You can see a map (note that south is at the top) showing the closure here:

…hawaii.gov/ecosystems/files/2013/07/Ahihi-K…

The road through the preserve is open. It's not very obvious on the map, but the closure boundary is drawn down the sides of the road.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,572 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buncha snorkeling questions for February 2014 Maui

The fishbowl and aquarium are definitely two different places but close to each other. This area of the Ahihi-Kihau Natural Area Reserve has been closed for years. Next target date for opening is July 2014. All other areas of the Reserve were never closed. The best place to snorkel in this area is Moanakala (aka the dumps) weather depending. For beach snorkeling in this area check out Maluaka Beach in front of the Makena Beach and Golf Resort.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buncha snorkeling questions for February 2014 Maui

Kapalua is just about always great for snorkeling. When there are high waves elsewhere, this lovely bay is calm. I usually see between 18-25 species of fishes here. So great! And Napili when things are right....you can see sea turtles all the time. Plus Napili has great tide-pooling. My son and daughter in law live here and whenever I visit I head for Kapalua and Napili. Black Rock is also good, but more crowded and harder to park.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Buncha snorkeling questions for February 2014 Maui

Ulua Wailea

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Buncha snorkeling questions for February 2014 Maui

Ulua Wailea