We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunset Picnic - Where would you get takeout?

Duvall, Washington
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sunset Picnic - Where would you get takeout?

We're wanting to stage a little picnic on the lawn or maybe the beach at our hotel (Makena Beach Resort) next Wednesday at sunset. I was looking through the top questions on restaurants and I'm having a lot of trouble narrowing down recommendations for really good takeout near us that would be open around dinner time. If you were to pick one place to get takeout from near Makena/Wailea what would it be? A couple of limitations: I'm pregnant so no cold sandwiches, soft cheese, or raw fish (unfortunately).

7 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,092 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunset Picnic - Where would you get takeout?

Why don't you tell us what you can eat. Right off the top of my head is the deli in Whalers General Store which is located in the Shops at Wailea. Most will be cold sandwhiches!! Then I thought Maui Tacos!! You could also try other restaurants in the Shops.

Duvall, Washington
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunset Picnic - Where would you get takeout?

I can eat pretty much everything else, just no cold sandwich meat, soft cheese,or raw fish. I'm not even necessarily looking for traditional "picnic food". Any takeout would be good. I think we'd be okay to pick it up from Kihei too.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunset Picnic - Where would you get takeout?

Safeway has a nice hot deli. Hawaiian Moons, a health food store in Kihei across from Kam I has a hot food bar.

Have you talked to the Resort restaurants and see what they can do to "fix you up".

Also the restaurant at the Makena golf Resort has good pupus at happy hour, check there and see what would work for you.

Congratulation on the upcoming event!

Edited: 4:22 pm, November 20, 2013
S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunset Picnic - Where would you get takeout?

Well, being the food trucks down there (inc Big Beach BBQ, Bubba's, Jawz et al..) will likely have rolled up well before sunset, & I prefer my grinds relatively hot ... I believe I'd may just hit the Pool Bar (which is open 'til 5:30'ish..) for a Huli Huli Chicken & some casual grill-friendly food. They also have a kiawe wood burning outdoor pizza oven if that suits your fancy(?) I know the Molokini Grill at the MBGR opens at 5:30 & has a nice selection of happy hour pupus -- I'm sure they wouldn't mind resort guests taking them to go.

Aside of that, I don't believe I'd venture much farther than either Mulligan's or The Shops at Wailea Fuzzy mentions above, where Tommy Bahama's (or even Ruth's Chris) can put together a nice & slightly more upscale picnic spread for ya. There is also Cheeseburger in Paradise, but I left that option off purposely. ;)

Alo)(a, NKO

Edited: 4:44 pm, November 20, 2013
Duvall, Washington
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunset Picnic - Where would you get takeout?

Awesome suggestions. Thanks for the help!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,686 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunset Picnic - Where would you get takeout?

Maybe pita paradise at the Wailea gateway center. Until 5 they have pita sandwiches and such (with cooked ingredients). After 5, salads, kabobs and pasta.

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunset Picnic - Where would you get takeout?

I would go with 808 Deli, closes around 5 or the new Fabiani's next to the Pita Paradise posted above. both r good for desserts too. Pita Paradise also pretty good.

Reply to: Sunset Picnic - Where would you get takeout?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted