We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Makena BR -- construction progress

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
295 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Makena BR -- construction progress

From a recent post I gather there is still construction going on to the north of the Makena Beach Resort.

Does anyone know what is being built and if the construction might be completed by early May?

I guess I better request and south-facing room.

Thanks.

15 replies to this topic
Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
136 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Makena BR -- construction progress

The only thing being built that I know of is down the coast at Mokapu Beach but that is way down from where you are staying. Download Google Earth and have a look at what is going on in that area. I had a look last night and the image was last updated in January sometime so it looks pretty current. Look down near the bottom of the page and it will show you when image was last updated. Google maps does not seem to tell you when image was updated.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
379 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Makena BR -- construction progress

There is still construction, and if you stay on the north side of the building you will definitely be overlooking that. I think it is unlikely to be finished by May, so if that is likely to be an issue for you, think about requesting either a south-facing room, or a north -facing room that is closer to the front (beach side) of the building.

We just spent a few days at Makena Beach Resort, and because it was a last-minute booking, we had no choice with our room selection, and ended up directly overlooking the construction zone. I can honestly say that it wasn't a huge issue for us. We are usually out and about during the day, so were usually gone before work began, and came back after it had stopped. (It tended to start late and end early when we were there.)

Unless you book one of the oceanfront rooms, your view of the ocean is at an angle anyway, north or south.

We loved MBR, and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Lots of very nice touches in the room.

Edited: 1:04 pm, March 26, 2013
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,840 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Makena BR -- construction progress

I sure would like to know what is being built on the north side of this resort!!

New Mexico
Level Contributor
379 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Makena BR -- construction progress

MsFuzz, me too. We kept meaning to ask, but left without finding out. Could it be a bigger and better pool area?

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,840 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Makena BR -- construction progress

Is it on the grounds of the hotel ConCeili?

Redding, Connecticut
Level Contributor
56 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Makena BR -- construction progress

We were at the Makena Resort this past Feb. and were told they are building 4 condo units of 4 each. A total of 16 units. Don't know if this is true or not but one of the locals who works at the resort told us this.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
379 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Makena BR -- construction progress

msfuzz, it's hard to tell--it's just on the other side of the paved path that runs along the north wing.

CousinB, that's very interesting. If that's the case,it will be interesting to see how that changes the look of the resort. Right now it feels as though it's all by itself, even if that is an illusion

Carlsbad, CA
Level Contributor
295 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Makena BR -- construction progress

Thanks for the info.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,840 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Makena BR -- construction progress

This is where my confusion sets in. Back in 2007, on the south side of the resort, there was a huge condo complex being built. It was over by the road you take to get to the south side of Maluaka, by the parking lot. It was being build when we left. Then I heard it went bust and there was only going to be a few houses. Never did hear what the end product was!!

Now I hear there is construction on the north side of the resort. Seems like it's being surrounded, which is such a shame.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,757 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Makena BR -- construction progress

If I remember correctly whatever is on the south appears to be abandoned, or at the least unfinished ...

Reply to: Makena BR -- construction progress
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted