We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st day at Makena, What to do?

Which Wailea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Hollywood,CA
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1st day at Makena, What to do?

Hi,

Headed to Maui on 4/8 and staying at the Makena Beach and Golf Resort. Will be arriving at 1pm at the airport so by the time we get to the hotel 2-3pmish? My question is, what do you recommend to do on the first night? We are definitely not the, "Let's relax for the rest of the day type" and love going out and exploring. I know our hotel provides a shuttle to Wailea, so any recommendations as to things to do would be great! Thanks!! =)

9 replies to this topic
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,106 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st day at Makena, What to do?

Go the Monkeypod and have a mai tai!!! Or two.... after all, you can get the shuttle back any time!

Or get in the rental car and drive to La Perouse Bay and enjoy the lava fields.

Or get some take away at Safeway, even Coconuts fish tacos, and head out to Makena Beach (BIG Beach) and have a picnic and watch the sun set.

Or head to 5 Palms for their great happy hour and watch the sun set from Keawakapu Beach.

Or..... I could go on all afternoon!!!!

Have a great time!

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st day at Makena, What to do?

You are only minutes from Wailea and a few more from Kihei so anything is easy to do. I say cool off in the pool. Have a cocktail or two on your lanai and head out for dinner. Easy peasy...

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
900 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st day at Makena, What to do?

Hop in the car, drive into Kihei and rent your snorkel gear at Snorkle Bob's, stop and grap a shave ice and head back to your hotel and get yourself in the water to see some fishies.

After a nice swim head back to your room, clean up and head out, go back into Kihei, and go to 3's Bar and Grill for a nice dinner and then a drink in the bar to listen to some great live music.

Stop by an ABC store and get a couple cocktails to take back to the hotel, and go sit on the grass at the hotel listening to the ocean and enjoying the evening.

San Carlos...
Level Contributor
1,530 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st day at Makena, What to do?

By the way, we loved the Makena resort. Talk about laid back! It's our new favorite on Maui. Try the Makena golf course for a lunch or early dinner ( they close early ). Great inexpensive food with a view to die for. The shuttle will take you there and back.

chicago area
Level Contributor
1,113 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st day at Makena, What to do?

You could go to Tommy Bahamas happy hour at the Shops at Wailea.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
900 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st day at Makena, What to do?

Or MonkeyPod Kitchen for happy hour as well.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,149 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st day at Makena, What to do?

Joan's got some great ideas! And all the others do too.

I just want to say that usually afternoon snorkeling at Maluaka isn't so great, but get your snorkel gear and get out first thing in the morning. Or maybe there is a better spot close by for afternoon snorkeling. Slabeaume would know!

A couple more ideas - borrow some of the resort's bikes and ride around Makena, then up to the Cafe on the Green for Happy Hour and gorgeous sunset views.

Or book a sunset catamaran sail.

If you are drinking at all, the shuttle into Wailea is great. We like MonkeyPod a lot!

Since you arrive on a Monday, do the resort's stargazing around the firepit with an astronomer. It's free and you can purchase s'mores and hot chocolate too. Maybe bring one of those little bottles of Baileys?

Oh and if you take Kitsura's suggestion to, " go sit on the grass at the hotel listening to the ocean and enjoying the evening." Be sure to to keep your eyes and ears open for wildlife. I'd suggest a flashlight. We had some fun and surprises with a mongoose and a herd of axis deer.

Have fun!

North Hollywood,CA
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st day at Makena, What to do?

thank you for all the suggestions! I really appreciate it and will definitely be checking these places out!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,439 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st day at Makena, What to do?

Are you into SUPing? The Mana Kai Resort has a Surf Shack inside where you can rent SUP boards and then just walk out the door onto Keawakupu Beach. No hassle with driving anywhere. Our daughter and her BF rented two boards for $45 each for four hours. They have so much they did it twice! Lots of people are SUPing on that beach and it was fairly calm when we were there in October. The beach is gorgeous and when you're done, you could enjoy the HH at 5 Palms in Mana Kai Resort. We loved that HH! The hours are 3:00-7:00. Have fun! Deb

Reply to: 1st day at Makena, What to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted